Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through our old VCR tapes, and most of them are ones we taped shows ourselves.

I have a bag of movies and such for donation, but obviously nobody is going to wants the tapes we recorded ourselves.

So what do I do with them. How do I get rid them safely?

· Registered
2,042 Posts

· Registered
2,042 Posts
just fyi ... your post got me motivated to purge our excess videos, and I confirmed with greendisk:

$6.95 for first 20#, then $.30 per pound, no apparent limit on the number of boxes: you ship it in your own boxes, after you've paid the processing fee. Yes, it's not free, but it really seems like the right thing to do, and it's not THAT expensive. I'm soliciting other parents that I know to collect as many tapes as we can, so we make the most of the fees.

They take: videos, cassette tapes, cd's, their plastic cases, (paper is recyclable locally), and a lot of other stuff, but mostly I'm interested in the outdated media.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
ask! I doubt that the library will actually *use* them if they don't look nice.

Unfortunately, from what I've learned from the past 6 years owning a resale shop, I think that Passionate Writer and/or the library could get into a bit of trouble valuing the videos at that price, *if* anyone ever got audited. "Value" of used goods is subjective, but it is based on actual current market values for used goods, not new. And it really doesn't matter much if the video is Disney or whatever - it's still *just* a video.

Of course, I'm neither an accountant nor an IRS employee, but my "knowledge" is based on shared information from members of the National Association of Resale and Thrift Shops. People have been known to get into a lot of trouble for overvaluing contributions, more recently, and more for stuff more valuable than a bunch of videos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.