Mothering Forum banner

What variety of a veggie eater do you consider yourself?

• vegetarian ( maybe dairy or eggs)

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Lacto/ovo veg ( dairy and eggs)

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Vegan ( no dairy or eggs)

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Other ( please! Educate us!)

Votes: 3 3.7%
1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and could not find a veggie mamas tribe so how about starting one?
Aside from posting in Nutrition and Good Eating ( please don't move us there) where most veg discussions turn political/ religious/ or stray way off topic.

So mamas, what variety of vegetarianism do you adhere to ? How long? Did you have an epiphany or was it a slow progression? How is the family handling it all???

My answers: ethical L/O vegetarian. No milk, some orgainc cheeses and organic eggs. 2 DD's are the same, and DH feeds his carnivorous cravings when we eat out. :LOL

My veg epiphany came 4 weeks PP with my first child 8 years ago , sore boobs, very blue, driving along and see a cow nursing her calf. I swore off dairy at that day.

Began frequenting a local organic farm and it forever changed how I see food production, especially meats.

I am a minority in my area, but after 8 years I have no problems just telling it like it is. I am seeing my 8 year old get a bit of flack occasionally, but she is at a Montessori school that is very liberal and accepting. My 3 year old has no concept of the politics behind her favorite cubed tofu.

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
Hello.... Her Royal Veganness Has Arrived :LOL

Well i went vegan overnight on sept 30, 2003.. i watched a few PETA movies and i was done... i couldnt stand the stuff they do... and upon researching more and more im glad i did... dd is also vegan ...she doesnt like the thought of eating her friends... thats about it... i belong to various vegan boards so when mdc gets me down from time to time with some of the anti-veg sentiments or posts i go to my boards and feel renewed again... ( i know im weird) its nice knowing in some places i aint the minority...

so hi
to all the fellow vegetarians...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hello there

I'm a vegan for ethical reasons, though also increasingly for health reasons. My 12 month old daughter is also vegan, though my husband is not. I've been vegetarian for about 12 years, and vegan for about 8 of them. I went vegetarian pretty abruptly, but going vegan was a long process.

~Mandy

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MDC Mandy. I too went veg pretty abruptly. Luckily, I was never a huge meat fan so it did not bother me very much. Did have to relearn my meals and cooking though!

bowing to the High Veganness ( is that a word???) Glad to see you here too.
The organic farm I visited after dumping dairy, well they showed me the meat your meat video too, and then I was really done!
I have a link to the MEATRIX video on my homepage...

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
My family and I are ovo-lacto veg. I have been veg for almost 10yrs. I first stopped eating all meat and then quit drinking/cooking milk. Then I quit eating eggs. For a brief while I was vegan (got preg and didn't last), unfortunately I was doing it for reasons other than health/ethics (to be thin). I now eat free range eggs , cheese, yogurt , butter etc...
I started being veg for health/ethical/enviromental reasons.

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeysMama
bowing to the High Veganness ( is that a word???) Glad to see you here too.
Who knows but for the last remaining few days i have to make my title known.. i will cry when my ddddc goes away....

Quote:
The organic farm I visited after dumping dairy, well they showed me the meat your meat video too, and then I was really done!
I have a link to the MEATRIX video on my homepage...
I tried watching Meet your Meat and i think the first 30 secs was a cow being hung up and beaten.. i didnt make it past that... i cried for hours.. and gave up meat.. i watched the KFC video and hurled.... I love that MEATRIX clip its hilarious....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I went veggie in the 8th grade after reading "the jungle" and "diet for a new america". Pretty heavy stuff for 8th grader. Anyways...I just stoped. I couldnt handle eating all htat meat. And my family(mom) was really cool about it. Always trying to make me something good and healthy. Now 14 years later, I have been an ever changing veggie. At first I ate eggs and cheese. Then I didnt. Then I did, Then I was a vegan. Then I got preggo and ate *gasp* fish. What I really wanted were whoppers from burger king but I knew I wouldnt be able to handle that emotionally. They smelled so good but sounded too gross. I no longer eat fish. But DP and DD both do which is an ocasional piece of wild salmon from whole foods(which I cannot stand that store any longer. all thoese rude yuppies drive me crazy) So anyways, now I do eat eggs and cheese. I love stinky cheese and dont think that I can ever give it up again.

darkstar

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yay!! So happy we have our own tribe!

I have been a vegetarian since Jan. 2003 and vegan since Aug. 2003. I'm having a hard time with veganism, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and remind myself constantly why I made this lifestyle change. For me, it's all about the animals. I really, really love animals. I always have, but it took me 23 years to figure out that I was contributing to their torture and suffering. The story of how I got there is too long, but I do have to tell you all one funny thing. The week before I went veg, I started the Atkins diet!!
After 2 days, and preparing my first whole roaster chicken, it hit me like a ton of bricks what exactly I was doing. I felt overwhelming guilt.
The family thing is tricky for me. I am the only veg in my home. DH and DD want no part of it (yet!). My inlaws think I'm nuts. But, I do have a very strong support system in my brother and sil. They are awesome! I couldn't and probably wouldn't be veg without them.

So. That's my story and brief introduction. I'm very anxious to get to know all the MDC veggie moms!

Tracie (wife of a Bob Evans manager)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm here!! I'm just a regular ole vegetarian. DH and DS1 are omni's. I was 15 and wanted to do the "cool" thing and be veggie, but I knew my mom wouldn't go for it, so I gave it up for Lent
Then just kept it up. Was vegan for 2 or 3 years, but I was such a dirt poor hippie that I couldn't afford to keep up my health. So I went back to vegetarian.
:LOL my son just is eating chicken from the grill and told me it was so good he wishes I was an omnivore so I could try some. not a chance!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I slowly became a veggie because meat just started grossing me out. I was still eating chicken when I became pregnant with dd two years ago and just seeing chicken would make me run a throw up so I became a vegetarian. DD had a problem with dairy so I quit for awhile but now I do eat yougurt and cheese. I rarely eat eggs.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I am a dairy, no eggs vegetarian. I don't drink cows milk though. My Dad married an almost vegan women when i was 7, so it was totally forced on me at first. Of course I hated it and ate at McD's whenever possoble. But then I strted learning more about animal cruelty and what they do to /put in meat, and decided I liked it that way. I completely stopped eating meat in 1994, and go on and off with being vegan. DD and DH eat the same way i do. My family is pretty cool with it, but they always make spaghetti with marinara sauce when we go visit them. Not that its not good, but I know they all eat beans too, i just like something with some sustenance to it. (Silly vegetarian-- go eat some lettuce!)
Any of you have kids who will not eat but maybe 4 types of veggies, and absolutely no raw veggies? DD is so picky about veggies, and always teases me about wanting some turkey! She loves to get me going.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelocks
IAny of you have kids who will not eat but maybe 4 types of veggies, and absolutely no raw veggies?
thats both of mine! But only raw veggies. My oldest loves salads, and my youngest only likes orange and yellow and white veggies at the moment ( age 3)

But the are both great soy/tofu eaters, and great fruit eaters. And our munchy snacks are a big bin of raw and roasted almonds, soy nuts, sunflower, cashews...yum!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So do any of you all get the weird "we don't know how to feed you" vibe at visiting family or friends or when out? Recently I went to a lactation conference, and there was no healthy option ( I say healthy cuz the meat entree was greasy gravy food) and I had asked ahead of time (when I paid) for a veg option. THe option? Salad and noodles. My family is pretty health food conscious but still gets flustered at feeding us. My inlaws bring their own feed back of soda/junk foods when they come visit and won't try anything I make...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm new here and saw this thread, so I decided to jump right in!

I've been a vegan for about 3 1/2 years now. I was a vegetarian prior to that basically for my whole life. I became a vegan pretty much overnight, and that seemed to work best for me. It did take awhile to stop missing cheese though, hehe

My son is 7 months and vegan, but I'm not sure if I will raise him vegan or vegetarian yet. My husband is a vegetarian.

Looking forward to posting here!

Cat

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hey another vegan family here.
DH and I have been vegan for 14 years, all our children have been vegan since conception and all are extremely healthy- no vax, no doctors, just healthy organic food!!!!
We became vegan after I suggested we do it for a month to get off the egg and cheese diet. Two months later we said hey I feel really good. We haven't looked back.
When visiting my family, my mom prides herself on having vegan cookbooks from the library and trying different recipes for us. I am sooooo lucky to have her support - last year we felt okay to leave dd and ds1 with her while we went to the It in Maine. Mom kept them well fed with a strictly vegan diet.
peace all-
maria

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
My family has no issues.. but i have gotten some flack from my moms friend who works at a meat packing plant.. go figure... :rollseyes

i am happy to see all the vegans/vegetarians around... altho Erin has yet to come and introduce herself... :LOL

im lucky in that my dd will eat all fruits, veggies, and salad.. not a picky eater at all...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I'm vegetarian- DH is a meat eater that has gone to all free range stuff and is toying with the idea of vegetarianism.

I don't mind using some eggs and dairy but I buy local free range organic products. We try to stick to whole foods- avoiding processed stuff and "look-a-likes" We usually only get those when we're going to a gathering- I'll buy tofu dogs and boca burgers if we're going to a BBQ for example.

I have to share a cute little story- the other day DD (3 in june) and I were looking in the pond at the new apartment complex we're moving into. She wanted to touch the fish. I said-

"the fish won't let us touch them"
why?"
"Well, because they are scared of us."
"why?"
"I suppose it is instinctive for them to swim away from us"
"why?"
"Well, maybe because some people eat fish." (DH eats fish btw)
long pause... with confused look "mommy no eat fish?"
"Thats right mommy doesn't eat fish."
sad look... "Daddy no eat fish TO!"
"Well, we can talk to Daddy about that..."
"hummm" (means yes)

I thought it was so cute, but even cuter is that hours later when he came home her first words to him were

"no eat fish Daddy!"

My little vegetarian
It is so cute, because I've never tried to teach her to be vegetarian, and I've let her make her own conclusions about it all. The only thing we've done is call meat by its animal name (chicken=chicken beef=cow pork=pig) so that she really knew what the product was.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia80
My family has no issues.. but i have gotten some flack from my moms friend who works at a meat packing plant.. go figure... :rollseyes

i am happy to see all the vegans/vegetarians around... altho Erin has yet to come and introduce herself... :LOL

im lucky in that my dd will eat all fruits, veggies, and salad.. not a picky eater at all...
same here- both my girls will eat whatever you put in front of them... it sure is nice! I feel for mama's of picky eaters.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
The only thing we've done is call meat by its animal name (chicken=chicken beef=cow pork=pig) so that she really knew what the product was.
I agree! That is a huge important factor in making children know where the food comes from. I am always suprised in my older childs class how many just have no idea what most of their foods are made of. We also use the term cow milk and almond milk because I have to know that my youngest does not accidentally get dairy ( she gets so sick). My oldest always asks what kind of "burger/milk/bacon"....when eating at friends.

1 - 20 of 338 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.