Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had tests run and although I am in the clear for full celiac's disease, I still had gluten anti-bodies and have been advised to eat a gluten free diet. I am not doing dairy or eggs either. DS has a soy sensitivity, and is on a rotation diet for that, so we can't do tons of soy- just once or twice a week. We already do 90% of our cooking from scratch, so I don't think it will be too tough of a conversion. But I don't really know the mechanics of what is a good substitute for what, or how to bake gluten free bread. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources? Any tips?<br><br>
thanks!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Hi, I am gluten, egg, dairy, and tomato free. I also don't generally use soy (except gf soy sauce and I might try some soy cheese for my allergen-free pizza project)<br><br>
Check out the book--<span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Food Allergy Survival Guide</span> on amazon. I have read that it is vegan and takes out the top allergens as well. It got many 4 and 5 star reviews. I use coconut milk or cream to sub for milk/soymilk in recipes. There are a few cookbooks if you search "multiple food allergy cookbooks" on amazon.<br><br>
I think you could even use the gluten, egg, and dairy free cookbooks well as a vegan because if they call for meat in a soup you just use veg broth and more veggies instead, for example. I have only seen a few recipes that call for gelitan in a dough. Leaving the gluten and eggs of of baking is what makes it tricky. I am going to check out the <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook</span> from the library and see if that is any good. I am just now getting into trying the GF/DF/EF flours and baking because I have been off my allergy foods for a year and want some more variety......I just find allergen free baking intimidating. I miss some of my old favorites though.<br><br>
Best wishes,<br>
Jen

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, I will look for those things. I am good at making dairy free substitutions, because I've had a hard time with that my whole life. We are used to the soy rotation thing now too. It's mainly the gluten thing that I don't really know anything about. I'm going to look at those resources, though.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
There are two yahoo!groups:<br>
vegan-and-gluten-free<br>
vegetarianGF<br><br>
Both are fairly active. Lots of soy recipes, of course, but many soy-free.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, I will look for those!<br><br>
I found a magazine at the store yesterday called Living Without and it had a bunch of good ideas in it. The magazine wasn't vegetarian focused, but there were still some useful ideas.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
I initially found raw foods because I was vegan, gluten free, soy free and legume free. You'd be suprised at how many amazing recipes there are!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good suggestion too. I will have to check out some raw food books from the library. Yesterday I put a whole bunch of gf books on hold including some that were specifically vegetarian and some that were specifically gf and dairy free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts