Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any? I know someone posted a recipe for a bean dip a while ago that was supposed to taste just like tuna, but I can't find it using the search feature. We eat veggie at home but my daughter really wants tuna and sausage.

TIA

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hi mama~

There is a product called "tuno", it's in a can, I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be a tuna substitute. As for the sausage my favorite is "gimme lean" veggie sausage, I think it's by Light Life?? Morningstar Farms veggie sausage is yummy, but has a lot more ingredients. I don't know any recipes from scratch though. Hope this helps

*erin*
boy: #1 edd 10/29/05
boy:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I saw the Gimme Lean sausage at the grocery store so I think I'll try that.

Does the vegannaise make the garbanzos taste more like tuna? My daughter already eats hummus sandwiches all the time and loves them. It's the tuna "taste" I'm after. I don't know if they have the tuno stuff at the store but I'll look.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Another vote for Gimme Lean sausage, It really does taste like sausage... so much so that when I cook it I have to mix a ton of stuff in to make it taste LESS like sausage so it won't freak me out. Hehehe.

I've had "tuno" and I think it's gross. It looks like cat food chunks packed in oil.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lckrause
Does the vegannaise make the garbanzos taste more like tuna?
I can't speak for the vegannaise but after the mayo, onions, spices, and pickles it tastes close to me. I think you are supposed to mash them into small chunks, not almost pureed like hummus. I 'd say it tastes like tuna in the same way that a veggie burger tastes like a real burger. Under all the condiments, veggies, and cheese it's all darn close.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
If you live in an area where there are Chinese Buddhists, look for a store that sells asian veggie meat products. There are some wonderful fake tunas out there that taste and feel just like the real thing once you've prepared them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts