Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I made the chocolate chip cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance and they were out of this world. I decided to make another batch this afternoon and the results were awful - the dough never got really dough-y. It was more dry and crumbly. I tried adding more non-hydrogenated margarine but that didn't help at all. I tried baking them anyway to see if they would firm up, and they were just crisp, dry cookies. Then I realized that the margarine I had used was different from what I tried before - it was "whipped" and I thought maybe that made a difference.<br><br>
So I went to the store and got the same stuff I used last time. Just whipped up a batch - and I seem to be having the same results. I was able to get the dough to cohere a little more by shaping each cookie into a ball, but otherwise it wanted to be dry and crumbly again. They are in the oven now so I guess I'll see how they turn out.<br><br>
I didn't have this problem at all last time and now I'm wondering if it's common when cooking with margarine (something I didn't used to do before going veg). Is there a particular brand that you'd recommend? Tonight I used Smart Balance and it said it was supposed to be good for cooking and baking. Advice, please....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Did you use the whipped margarine the first time or the 2nd time? Mostly I ask because a cup of margarine will hold more than a cup of whipped margarine cause the whipped one is full of air.<br><br>
If that's not the problem, I find with VwaV cookies I ALWAYS have to add more liquid (be that applesauce, "milk", marg or a bit of all 3). I think I'm a little heavier handed on the flour than Isa is so that could be the problem too.<br><br>
From what I know of American margarines (which is pitifully little bar one brand) most of the people I email with who bake seem to use Earth Balance (not the smart balance one though and not the whipped one). I just use regular no name brand which is vegan over here or a dairy free one.<br><br>
I hope this lot turn out a little better. But yes, more margarine and milk together will usually help stick them together.<br><br>
Oh did you use a different sugar? Sometimes that can make a difference too. I always need to use less unrefined sugar than I do refined sugar.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your super-thorough response! I haven't had this prob with any other of the cookies I have made from VWaV, so it was very frustrating. The "whipped" spread is the one that turned out really bad (it was Earth's Balance, whipped). My 2nd batch still didn't look very "doughy" but when baked they did turn out better (though not as good as when I made them a few weeks ago). I think next time I may put in fewer chips and see if the dough will hold together a little better.<br><br>
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
There is a VwaV thread on here somewhere, and I think that several posters also had problems with the chocolate chip cookies. Do they use maple syrup as sweetener? (Too lazy to go look). Maybe try adding some more of it too next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts