Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Would have been nice if they had also tested a standard vegetarian diet. A vegan diet may lower some things but this article doesn't talk about the supplements you have to take in order to get all of your needed nutrients.

Of course people are going to have an easier time on a diet where they dont' have to measure what they eat or count calories. That bit just seems like jumping to conclusions to me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisalou
Would have been nice if they had also tested a standard vegetarian diet. A vegan diet may lower some things but this article doesn't talk about the supplements you have to take in order to get all of your needed nutrients.

Of course people are going to have an easier time on a diet where they dont' have to measure what they eat or count calories. That bit just seems like jumping to conclusions to me.
Vegans do not need supplements. A standard vegetarian diet includes dairy which is high in fat and cholesterol- that is probably why they did not test it.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Einley
Vegans do not need supplements. A standard vegetarian diet includes dairy which is high in fat and cholesterol- that is probably why they did not test it.
All the vegans I know take some form of supplements and one very ardent vegan I know will tell you anyone who tells you they're doing a vegan diet b/c it's healthy is lying to you, it's not healthy. He does it b/c of animal rights.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Einley
Vegans do not need supplements.
Nope! It takes a little more effort and research to make sure you're getting the nutrients you need, but we're perfectly healthy on our own.

Quote:
one very ardent vegan I know will tell you anyone who tells you they're doing a vegan diet b/c it's healthy is lying to you, it's not healthy
I highly suggest the person you know do some research instead of spreading misinformation.

I've been vegan for nearly four years now, and I'm the healthiest I've ever been. I'd never go back.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Vegans do not need any supplements as long they eat a well rounded diet. The China Study is a great book to read about the dangers of a high protein diet, esp. animal proteins and the relationship between meat based diets and certain cancers, heart disease, and so many other things. It's a real eye opener.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
My mom went Vegan to help with her diabetes. It has been around 5 years now U think.
It has helped her. It didn't help as much as she hopped it would but she has NO plans to start eatting the SAD any time soon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
lisalou said:
Would have been nice if they had also tested a standard vegetarian diet. A vegan diet may lower some things but this article doesn't talk about the supplements you have to take in order to get all of your needed nutrients.QUOTE]

Huh?! B12 is the only nutrient that could possibly be missing in a healthy vegan diet. B12 is found in the guts of animals and also in unwashed produce....since we don't eat animals and we wash our produce, we need to make sure we have a source of B12 I use rice milk, soy milk, cereals and tofu that are all fortified with B12, so it's easy, and I don't need to take a supplement. But, some vegans do take B12 supplements, if they are unsure about their intake. That's just good sense, lots of people, vegan or not take supplements, but it's incorrect to say vegans MUST take loads of supplements. I worry more about people who consume a standard western diet, largely deficient in plant foods.....think of all the phytonutrients they are missing. My own vegan diet has 12 servings of fruits and veggies a day, 75 grams of protein, and exceeds all the RDAs for vitamins and minerals (I have nutrition software, so I'm sure). I also lost a ton of weight and reversed my diabetes eating lots of yummy food. I'm glad to see this research is finally being done. I hope people will listen.

For good information about the health benefits of vegan diets, or planning a vegan diet see: www.pcrm.org

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Quote:
I use rice milk, soy milk, cereals and tofu that are all fortified with B12, so it's easy, and I don't need to take a supplement.
You are taking a supplement by eating something that is fortified with B12. Supplements come in more forms than just a pill. That's what my friend meant by having to take supplements.

I'm not saying a vegan diet is wrong or unhealthy. But it does take a lot of work to make sure that you are eating a well rounded diet and even then as you even say you still have to supplement.

I just actually hate to see articles like this that say JUST DO X and you'll be healthy. Because it's a lot more involved than that. People want to think there's some quick cure all that will involve little effort on their part and all the vegans in this thread have admitted that it takes reading and research and careful planning on your part to ensure you have a well rounded diet.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Quote:
But it does take a lot of work to make sure that you are eating a well rounded diet and even then as you even say you still have to supplement.
It does NOT take a lot of work to eat a healthy vegan diet - I've been vegan for 7 years and have never had a single deficiency (and I can tell you that for absolute certain because I have a clotting disorder that requires me to get regular blood tests). I don't do anything special, just try to stay away from overly-processed foods.

Fortified soymilk doesn't count as a supplement in my book - would you consider cow milk to be a supplement since Vitamin D is added to it?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants
It does NOT take a lot of work to eat a healthy vegan diet - I've been vegan for 7 years and have never had a single deficiency (and I can tell you that for absolute certain because I have a clotting disorder that requires me to get regular blood tests). I don't do anything special, just try to stay away from overly-processed foods.

Fortified soymilk doesn't count as a supplement in my book - would you consider cow milk to be a supplement since Vitamin D is added to it?
I would consider the Vitamin D in cow's milk to be a supplement since it's added to it yes, just like I would consider the B12 added to soy milk to be so. Anything you add to a food that is not naturally occuring is a supplement. Especially if you use it like a supplement like poster claimed to -

Quote:
since we don't eat animals and we wash our produce, we need to make sure we have a source of B12 I use rice milk, soy milk, cereals and tofu that are all fortified with B12
You still have to balance your diet though dont' you and be aware of what you're eating? It's not like you could have a vegan diet by just eating corn, bread and vegan cheese, right? (basically translating what a lot people's diets are)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think the key to reversing diabetes symptoms is to stop eating sugar and sweeteners, refined white grains, and processed foods. Comparing a good vegan diet to the standard American diet is a bit of a false comparison, IMO, since the standard American diet is very unhealthy. Comparing a good vegan diet to the Nourishing Traditions diet might be a better comparison.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:

You still have to balance your diet though dont' you and be aware of what you're eating? It's not like you could have a vegan diet by just eating corn, bread and vegan cheese, right? (basically translating what a lot people's diets are)
Well, yes, but we all have to balance our diets. It is equally not healthy to eat just corn, bread, and regular cheese.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
shouldn't everyone research and balance their diets? why is that being looked at as a negative? surely mindlessly shoving hamburgers and fries and cokes down our gullets isn't providing a balanced diet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The vegan dieters lost 2x as much weight, which is probably the reason for their improved levels over the others. WHY did they lose 2x the weight? Obviously they were eating less calories. Also, it seems like the other diet wasn't really THAT good of a diet - one that allows starch and crap in moderation. If those people were eating some meat and WHOLE foods and ate the same # of calories as the vegan dieters, I totally think there would have been no difference.

There are SOOOO many opinions on what is the 'correct' way to eat that it's frustrating to figure out what is the TRUE best way. I'd like to know! I do think simply keeping calories low-ish and eating whole foods with a VARIED diet (not eating the same things every day) is the best way to go.

And I agree with those who say following a GOOD vegan diet is harder than one with meat, eggs and dairy. You have to put more thought into it. And of course there is the whole debate on whether soy is even good for you at all, right?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bright
I think the key to reversing diabetes symptoms is to stop eating sugar and sweeteners, refined white grains, and processed foods. Comparing a good vegan diet to the standard American diet is a bit of a false comparison, IMO, since the standard American diet is very unhealthy. Comparing a good vegan diet to the Nourishing Traditions diet might be a better comparison.
Yeah, this is more what I was trying to say - except adding in calorie restriction as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:

You are taking a supplement by eating something that is fortified with B12. Supplements come in more forms than just a pill. That's what my friend meant by having to take supplements.
Drinking fortified rice milk is no different than drinking fortified cow's milk, in terms of "taking supplements." Your point is still not valid....we don't take a lot of supplements to be vegan.....at least no more than most people take.
And, that was your original point, that you believe vegans must take "a lot" of supplements.

As others have said....It's not hard. I've used my nutritional software just because nutrition is a hobby, not because I needed to take such meticulous care with my diet. I am committed to maximizing my nutrition because I had diabetes. It's not hard at all to plan or eat a regular vegan diet.

[/QUOTE} I just actually hate to see articles like this that say JUST DO X and you'll be healthy. Because it's a lot more involved than that. People want to think there's some quick cure all that will involve little effort on their part and all the vegans in this thread have admitted that it takes reading and research and careful planning on your part to ensure you have a well rounded diet.[/QUOTE]

It is/was as easy as that to cure my diabetes and overweight....eat right and exercise. I know not everyone is interested in switching to a low-fat, nutrient-rich, whole foods, plant-based diet.....but, it certainly doesn't hurt to encourage people to try it, especially if they have a chronic disease.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.