Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go back and forth between being 100% vegan and then vegan except for _____. "______" being butter, yogurt, and occasionally sour cream. I use those dairy items as condiments/ toppings (i.e. not main ingredients in a meal) and cannot find a vegan replacement that I like (I avoid tofu for taste reasons (I have a protein aversion), though I do sometimes eat it).

Is anyone else "vegan except for ____" ?

It's hard for me, as for all intents and pruposes I am vegan... I cannot use mainstream vegetarian cookbooks as they are so egg, cheese, and milk heavy. But I also cannot "complete" my vegan dishes without the dairy condiment.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
food wise, no. we're just veagn. although we did go to a friends house and she had made cheese enchiladas totally not getting the vegan thing. she made them by hand from scratch (the sauce and the corn tortillas) so we ate one to be nice. if it were meat we would have declined by since we're vegan primarily for health reasons we budged just that little bit. and we do eat honey which to some isn't very vegan thats us.

before we went veg at all we had a feather down comfoter and leather shoes. we didn't get rid of any of them but i would prefer to stay away from them now.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
am in the same boat. We eat mostly vegan, but our big downfalls are yogurt and butter. We eat lots of plain yogurt in our house as a condiment, on it own, and in recipes. I think the cultures/pro-biotic content are good and our DS, who is sensitive to dairy, doesn't seem to react to these two things. We also do cultured butter.

I have to laugh though because I think of people who say- Oh I am vegetarian but I eat fish or chicken. I think to myself- while its good to be eating lower on the food chain a lot of the time that still isn't a vegetarian. I bet vegans think the same about me.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see the dairy condiments as downfalls-- I try not to think that way about food-- but I would like to figure out an alternative for condiments. I like sweet asian sauces like duck sauce but that has so much sugar!

OMG, I hate it when people offer me dairy stuff at their house!!!! Or bring meat stuff over to my house!

I use the dairy condiments in such small, small quantities.. while I know it excludes me from being truly vegan, like I said, I still have to figure out ways to make the main dish vegan...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm 100% vegetarian, but trying to stay mostly vegan. I don't like using the label "vegan", though, because that seems limiting. If I raise my daughter on a diet free of animal products, they'll never be completely off limits. If she's at a birthday party and they're serving regular cake and ice cream, it isn't going to kill her to have some if she chooses. I would just rather not have that stuff around the house. I guess my point is, you don't have to be religiously vegan for it to make a difference for both your health and to the industry if you're morally opposed to animal products.

If you do want to eliminate those foods, however, I would just do some searching for good alternatives. You could use guacamole in place of sour cream, smart balance in place of butter, and find another snack you like as much as yogurt, like trail mix or fruit (soy yogurt just doesn't do it for me).

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't eat yogurt as a snack-- I use it as a condiment like sour cream (usually on rice and beans). I eat butter on bread.

Is smart balance hydrogenated? I never even looked at it.

Avocados are so expensive
. But that is a fabulous idea-- thanks for that.

I could also start buying salsa and using that...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by defectgrrrl
I must admit I find this thread rather disturbing.
:

If you're not an ethical vegan, PLEASE say strict vegetarian. It's like those people who say that they're "vegetarian but still eat fish" - you screw things up for those of us who won't "cheat", and you give people the expectation that vegans can eat dairy/gelatin/whatever once in a while and it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
most people don't think twice about eating meat or dairy. Eliminating any amount at all is a step in the right direction, IMO. Does it really matter what term the person uses? We're all just people trying to eat in a way that is healthier and more ethical. Even those pesky "pescatarians" who call themselves "vegetarians"
Are you a "smoker" if you smoke 1 cigarette once a week? a month? it's all just in the wording and I guess I'm not uptight with terms.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Does it really matter what term the person uses?
In this case, yes, I truly believe it does. Using the term "vegan" when it doesn't apply to you gives people a false sense of what it means, and false expectations of what is or is not acceptable. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "So-and-so is a vegan, too, but they eat the ice cream we bring in for people's birthdays!" - the meaning being "it's not a big deal to eat a little dairy, why are you being such a pain in the ass?". To me it IS a big deal and it goes against my ethics and I'm tired of people claiming a label that's not theirs and making it harder for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I see your point, but I still don't think the wording makes that big of a deal. I, too, don't like it when people say they have made fish for me since I'm a vegetarian, or ask if it's okay for me to eat chicken. I don't think you can totally blame the "misuse" of terms on this, I think it's just human nature for people who eat meat and cheese at every meal and are clueless as to what you'd eat if you don't eat what they eat. Besides, the OP didn't call herself "vegan (period)" she called herself "vegan EXCEPT for ___" which I don't find misleading at all. Eh, I don't care for the terms anyways. It IS hard in a world of McDonalds (MEAT CHEESE EGGS ICE CREAM what else is there to life?) If you choose to make the occasional exception, no problem. If not, that's fine, too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom
I see your point, but I still don't think the wording makes that big of a deal.
Yeah the wording makes a very big deal. Giving people the impression that vegans eat animal products is BAD. It sends the AR movement backward. Do you have any idea how hard animal rights activists have to work to get people to understand what vegan means? Sure it may not mean anything to you but perhaps it means something to the millions of innocent animals who are confined, abused and slaughtered and those of us working to protect them.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I just take it one step at a time. I think people would be more likely to move towards a vegan lifestyle (meaning cutting down on animal products) if they knew it didn't mean they could NEVER eat cheese for example. If I told my husband he could be either vegan or nothing, he'd choose nothing and eat all the steak and cheese and ice cream he wants. Instead, if I gently offer alternatives to people who wouldn't have otherwise tried it, I feel I'm doing my part. There are a million shades of grey. You don't have to be either vegan or a total carnivore. You see what I'm saying? I think you'd make more progress as an animal rights activist if you realized that the entire population isn't going to instantly change their ways, but they might slowly cut down on animal products. If you act militant, people aren't going to listen, IMO.
No hard feelings. I'm all for the AR movement (obviously), but I think we need to take baby steps and create change throuh love.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's fine just don't refer to yourself as vegan if you're not. Let me clarify, don't use vegan as an adjective for yourself unless you eat no animal products.

What are you proposing when you say take baby steps and create change through love?

And if being honest and fighting for what's right is militant than so be it. Perhaps this world would be a better place if more people were willing to take the unpopular path and fight for those who cannot stand for themselves.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Quote:
I just take it one step at a time.
And that's a wonderful thing that I support. However, if you're not quite vegan, why not say "transitioning to vegan" or something similar? To me is the same thing as someone who's majoring in Medicine in college but hasn't graduated or even gone to med school yet calling themselves a doctor. They *want* to be a doctor, and they're working on becoming one, but they aren't one yet. YWIM?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am torn on who can and should use the term vegan. While I am strictly, no exceptions vegan, I know many other folks who refer to themselves as vegan, yet they either eat a bit of dairy, or wear non-vegan items. On one side, I am really happy that people are thinking about and using the term vegan, so that it gets more coverage and folks know what it means and that we are not so bizarre afterall!

On the other side, I don't want the term vegan getting muddled, like what some people posted above, that if someone who is vegan eats the birthday cake, then all vegans should eat it. That is also when people become confused on what being vegan truly is and what it consist of.

I don't want to alienate anyone and at the same time I want to preserve what living vegan really means.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
A little OT, but I have a question for the vegans on this thread. I have recently started the Eat to Live diet to lose some weight. The first phase of this diet is completely vegan. I'm feeling so freaking good that I want to continue follow a mostly vegan diet after these six weeks. I want some plain yogurt drizzled over my fruit once or twice a week. I it's made locally (Like some places in Europe and Vermont). Would it be wrong for me to say that I follow a vegan diet most of the time? Just wondering. I would never say I am vegan if I eat an animal product even once a year.

Also, in some other places (England, for sure), 90-some % of people who say they're "vegetarians" eat fish. So, terminology may differ internationally.

Dh and I have not eaten "meat" for a few years, but we do eat fish occasionally. Well, obviously I don't anymore, but anyway, we never call ourselves "vegetarians". We just say we eat fish but not any other meat.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by defectgrrrl
That's fine just don't refer to yourself as vegan if you're not. Let me clarify, don't use vegan as an adjective for yourself unless you eat no animal products.

What are you proposing when you say take baby steps and create change through love?

And if being honest and fighting for what's right is militant than so be it. Perhaps this world would be a better place if more people were willing to take the unpopular path and fight for those who cannot stand for themselves.
If I told my parents or sister or in-laws or friends that it is morally wrong to eat animal products and that they should stop right now, they'd get a little mad and then most likely keep on eating just as many animal products as before. However, if I were to make a yummy vegan recipe and offer it to people, they might like it and eat that in place of it's meat/dairy counterpart. For example, my parents would never become vegan, but they love tofutti ice cream and tofurkey vegan sausage. There's a little less animal being used right there.

whateverdidiwants I see your point. I don't want the term to be used loosely on food packaging when there needs to be a level of preciseness. I just think that it doesn't matter as much in casual conversation. Having such strict ideas on casual conversation makes people afraid to talk/post in fear that the word police will come and ridicule them for misusing a term. Not that you're being mean about it, it's just this sort of thing that makes me feel like I have to add disclaimers to everything I type just to make syre my wording doesn't offend anyone. I guess we can just agree to disagree

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Doodlebugsmom - if you're choosing your diet because of health and not ethics, and still eat occasional animal products, "strict vegetarian" would be most accurate.

haleyelianasmom - I hate to disagree to disagree on this one. It's something I feel very strongly about. I think the integrity of the term is most damaged in casual conversation if you do/eat something that's not vegan.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants
Doodlebugsmom - if you're choosing your diet because of health and not ethics, and still eat occasional animal products, "strict vegetarian" would be most accurate.
Gotcha!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts