Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My son's 7th birthday party is coming up. We are vegan and we have guests coming that have gluten, rice and refined sugar intolerances. I'm looking for a chocolate cake recipe that works for everyone! (If necessary I'll do two cakes, but would like to try for one.) If it's soy-free that'd be a bonus. Maple syrup, agave nectar etc is fine. I've had quite yummy cupcakes before that fit the requirements but they were *really* crumbly and messy. Ideally want something that stays together! We do want it to be proper cake - no nutrition required, heh. Other kids coming will be used to 'normal' cake so want them to enjoy it too! Any ideas?</p>

·
Registered
70 Posts
<p>Here is a link to a great flour blend on my blog- The recipe is pretty far down on the page.  You don't need to keep the same flours, but keep the ratios of flour and starch the same.  I'd replace the rice flour with something like almond or coconut flour.  An oat flour would be wonderful, but make sure it's certified gluten free! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>You should be fine with using a regular cake recipe (try one that's been around for years, like Joy of Cooking or something).  Make sure to use xanthan gum in gluten free baking.  For the egg, you can make a flax or chia egg- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoon hot water.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For the sugar, could you use Sucanat?  It's available at health store.  It is from cane sugar though.  If ot, I'm sure you can find a recipe that uses maple syrup though.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can't give you a recipe, since I usually do cupcakes.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck! </p>

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks Nicoleandco! I ended up using a vegan recipe I've used before and using Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix, adding xantham gum, and using agave nectar instead of sugar. Turned out great! This is the recipe I used, in case anyone else is looking for a good chocolate cake option!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx" target="_blank">http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yummy! :)</p>

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Here is the best vegan GF cake ever and it can be done with or without rice flour:<br><br>
Crazy Cake<br><br>
3 cups flour (1 cup tapioca flour, 2 cups sorghum flour or you could sub rice in place or sorghum if you were allowed rice) (note, do not add a gum to this as it will make it gummy and is not needed)<br>
1 heaping cup maple syrup (recipe calls for 2 cups sugar but it is always over sweet)<br>
1 tsp sea salt<br>
2 teaspoons baking soda<br>
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder<br>
3/4 cup oil<br>
2 tablespoons vinegar<br>
2 tsp vanilla extract<br>
2 cups cold water (I add a bit less perhaps 1 1/2 cup water, since the cake has the liquid from the maple syrup but the batter is supposed to look runny anyway)<br><br>
Mix all the ingredients together and place in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (in 9 by 13 greased pan)<br><br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts