Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any mamas here make their own vegan bread? I love homemade bread and have experimented with a few recipes but they just come out weird. I've been using a bread maching but am not totally attached to it, I'd knead and bake in the oven if I got better results. In a lot of the recipes I've seen, it calls for honey and milk or powdered milk. Does anyone sub with agave nectar or molassas and some type of milk alternative or powdered soy milk?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Well, I'm just visiting this board, but I do make bread without milk/butter and it turns out just fine. I use my bread machine, subsitute olive oil for the butter and water for the milk. I use the simple "white loaf" recipie and just add in some spices (I like garlic, oregano, basil) and some chopped up sun dried tomatoes. It turns out great almost every time.

You can try coconut milk instead of milk as well, if you like. I have done that in some recipies and it can work well. I have not done it with bread, but I imagine it would be alright.

Oh, and for the sugar I just use regular white table sugar.

HTH

Tjej

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
there is a thread on here with an EXCELLENT vegan bread recipe - i'll bump it (and people have done it both in a bread maker, knead with a mixer or knead by hand - so its very adaptable i think!)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&postcount=12

link to the post with the recipe.. you can read the thread for more info!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I make 6.5 cups of flour, 3 cups of water, 1.5 tablespoons of yeast and 1.5 tablespoons of salt. I don't knead it, just mix it up, and let it rise, then split it into 2 loaves, and let it rise for another 30-40 minutes before baking for a half an hour at 450 degrees. It is delicious! And so easy.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all the mamas who posted! I will give those a try. I think I am going to knead by hand and bake in an oven and see if I get better results. The bread machine lovaes have just been totally bizarre. Tasty, but really weird. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I make homemade vegan bread a couple of times a week. I use the bread machine on the dough cycle then bake it in the oven. My favorite and easiest recipe:

Italian Bread
4 c flour
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp EVOO
1 1/3 c warm water
1 packet yeast

Once the dough is ready, remove it from the bread maker and form a ball with the dough. I score the top (optional) and let it rise for an hour then bake @ 350 for 25 minutes. YUM!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.