Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi!<br><br>
My wife and I are new to the Boston metro-west area. We bought a house in the amazing cohousing development, Sawyer Hill. We are happily using Dr. Chris Cooper in Acton as the pediatrician for our 1 year old daughter. We are now looking for a primary care doctor in the MetroWest area for both of us. I have been a vegan for 15 years and I find that it is very frustrating to have a doctor that is not experienced dealing with vegans and vegetarians. I have had doctors tell me that I need to eat meat to get enough protein, etc.<br><br>
Does anyone have a doctor to recommend? Even a method for finding a doctor? I have called 22 places and have yet to find anything helpful. The closest I've gotten is Dr. Saqib N. Qureshi in Marlborough who "has a few vegetarian patients".<br><br>
The ideal would be a good vegetarian doctor. Are there any vegetarian doctors?!</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
<p>I'm in RI so I'm not much help with recs but I did originally have a vegetarian pedi for DS. Or maybe he was pescatarian, I don't remember now. Anyway, I've found our current doc (homeopathic/MD who is not veg) is way more knowledgeable about & respectful of our vegan diet than the non-meat-eating doc!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess I say that just to warn you that just because you find a veg doctor, doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable than a meat-eating doctor. I know it sounds a bit counterintuitive...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>See if you can find a naturally-minded doc, because they'd likely have patients ranging from TF to veg*n to raw & back again, much more diverse population than a more mainstream doctor likely serves. What are you asking when you call these places? You can simply ask something like, "What are your recommendations for vegans?" And see how they respond. If they sound promising, I'd follow up with a "What about vegan children?" question because it seems like some doctors believe while it's OK for adults, that children aren't safe on a vegan diet!</p>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Great advice, thanks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have been asking basically that question but it seems that most of the veg*'s go into the city for their own care. There are several great naturally-minded pediatricians outside the city but I haven't found any primary care doctors. As for going into the city... I guess that's what we might have to do. It's just inconvenient.</p>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Here is the google search I've been playing with:</p>
<p>(homeopathic OR "alternative medicine" OR progressive) (vegan or vegetarian) "primary care" clinic massachusetts (hudson OR berlin OR devens OR boxborough OR stevens OR lancaster OR worcester OR northborough OR westborough OR shrewsbury OR clinton OR marlborough OR marlboro OR northboro OR framingham OR bolton OR harvard OR stow OR acton OR maynard)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We would love to find someone closer than Worcester, but we haven't found anyone even when we include it.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
466 Posts
<p>i am not sure if pembroke is too far, but our dr. has been great with our lifestyle choices and even commended us on our children's diets and their growth, progress, etc.  she is great and my husband and i both use her for our own needs.  her name is dr. carole smith at harbor medical.  good luck.  someone will pop up.  we never mentioned our diet to her when we inquired about her before dd1 was born, but rather her views on vaccinations, which she is ok with if you deny.  she is pretty chill.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>be well and happy veg vibes out to you and your family.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts