Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I found out that I am pregnant, I was transitioning to a vegan lifestyle. I have been vegetarian since September 1st. I have been gradually moving to animal-friendly personal care products for more than a year.

Anyway, I was feeling really motivated and excited about this transition (for mostly health reasons), but now that I'm pregnant I'm concerned. I know that one can have a very healthy pregnancy and healthy baby without meat, eggs, and dairy, but as a new on-the-way-to-vegan, I'm afraid that I would not be prepared to do it well. Know what I mean?

I'm just curious to hear others' stories and experiences. For now, I'm sticking with my vegetarian diet with the goal of being vegan after baby.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey!
I'm going on 8 yrs of being vegan, and have had 2 text book perfect pregnancies (I've had losses, but definitely not vegan related). My girls were both full term (39+4 and 40+2). They weighed 8lbs1oz and 9lbs5oz. They have been vegan since conception, and both breastfed for over 2yrs. They are now 6 and 3.5 and perfectly healthy, happy, and super smart. :)

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
There's a book called Your Vegetarian Pregnancy that's friendly to the vegan diet. (She may suggest B12 and iron supplementation--I can't remember--but that can be a good idea even for omnivores). It's written by an obstetrician who's pretty "mainstream," (e.g. referring to fasting during labor as "a time-honored tradition" even though it isn't evidence-honored). But the book should validate what you're doing and provide some good nutritional advice. :)

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I'm a little worried about enamel hypoplasia. Three of my four kids have it, and it is said to be connected to poor absorption of certain nutrients in pregnancy, mostly found in animal products. Other than that, I have confidence that you can have a healthy vegan pregnancy.

I appreciate your encouragement!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As an aspiring plant based nutritional educator, there are a few supplements such as wheat grass juice powder, barley grass juice powder, spirulina, chlorella & lipsomal vitamin c that you might find nutritionally supportive. They are well worth spending some time looking into at very least:)

My wife and i are here to support the community while seeking Placenta nurtured by a plant based diet to be used as a health supplement.

Feel free to view our ISO posting in the classifieds section, if so inspired.

YoursInService,
VeggiVeganesh

·
Registered
981 Posts
I write the following with due respect to the decision each individual & family must make regarding diet. ...

I was vegetarian for 20+ years & would never be pregnant as a vegetarian again. My vegetarian pregnancy was completely uneventful (even "healthy") but it took me years to recover nutritionally (especially with nursing). Also, my son has enamel hypoplasia & has always been borderline low iron. I started eating meat (humanely raised, direct from a farm) sparingly & followed more of a "traditional foods diet" after I just couldn't keep my iron up after birth—it has made a huge difference on my health.

I think a vegetarian (or even vegan) diet is fine for a short period of time, but is not a good long-term solution for women of childbearing age. Animal fats (along with coconut oil & other healthy vegetable-based fats) have been super helpful to me as I "recover" from my years as a vegetarian. Cholesterol is absolutely necessary for fertility & pregnancy. And there are simply too few truly heathy vegetable sources of fats & cholesterol. Not to mention absorbable iron with sustainable levels.

I am currently in my third trimester & feel amazing. I've had weeks where I didn't eat meat (though I almost always have plenty of eggs)—I just listen to my body. I still prefer to eat veg*n if possible, but I don't eat according to any rules. It's what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
Oops! And now I see this is an old thread recently revived by a spammer. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: applejuice
1 - 7 of 7 Posts