Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year with a vege garden, and I have brandywine tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini in an raised bed, all from transplants purchased at the farmer's market. The tomatoes have gone nuts, and are staked and tied like crazy to keep them from falling over with the weight of the fruit. The peppers had too much shade from the tomatoes, so they're not fruiting much at all... My big question is about the cucumbers and squash... Lots and lots of flowers on both, being visited by lots of pollinators (I have seen bees in and around the flowers on many occasions), but very little, if any fruit (six cucumber plants, maybe two cuces, and six zucs, no squash). It looks like the squash have some kind of powdery fugus on the leaves-- could that affect output? Or am I just being impatient? (We planted them kind of late, but they've been in full-flower for weeks!)

Advice?

Thanks!

-Katie

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
No advice but my squash are in the same situation, minus the powdery stuff, and my peppers are also not doing much, except for the jalapenos. Tomatoes are goooood, though!

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Neem oil is also good for the powdery mildew.

As for the low production, it could be the mildew or it could just be slow to produce. Around here, we don't usually have an overabundance of cukes until mid-august or later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.