Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegetarian for 12 years now and have a three-month old. Whenever I eat beans, my main protein source, my daughter gets very gassy and upset. As a result my diet is going downhill as I am not getting enough protein. I am considering starting to eat meat again to get enough protein...has anyone else had these problems?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I've heard a few moms that have to do this. Could you find protein elsewhere and try not eating as many beans and see if that helps?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hi...I am in the same boat with my 6 week old. Have you tried tempeh? Also a good source of B vits. as well. I'm not eating pb either because of a nut allergy in the family, so I really feel my protein intake is lacking!
Are you eating nuts? Good luck!! Mary

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
quinoa has a lot of protien. Just a thought. It shouldn't matter if you are a vegetarian, you should be able to find enough protien and feed your baby without beans. There is also a way to cook beans with enzymes that cuts out some of the gas causing particles. Cook it with Kombu (a sea vegetable) and it might help. But what do I know, I'm not a vegetarian, but I might be one day

Lisa

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would also try seitan -- it's a little expensive, but if you try and like it, there are recipes to make it yourself. It's made with vital wheat gluten and has a vaguely chicken-like consistency. You can also try nut milks and spreads, rice milk, etc.

Could you try giving your babe some simethicone drops if she seems gassy after you eat beans? Maybe that would help enough. I hate to see a vegetarian forced to eat meat -- that's not so great for your babe either!

Good luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm a veggie and had to cut dairy and soy out b/c of DS digestive problems and have just started adding tempeh back (he's 4 mos) and he's seems fine with it now...so could change in a month or so for you, too.

I personally realized I could get lots of calories and protein just from eating brown rice with avocado, nuts and seeds, almond butter sandwiches on sprouted grain bread, refried pinto beans don't bother me much for some reason like regular beans, and I make a smoothie every morning and add protein powder to it--either vegetable protein, rice protein or goatein and flax seeds. That way I always know it's like insurance.

·
Registered
295 Posts
These are really great ideas - I was a vegetarian before I got pregnant, and had a really hard time getting enough protein while pregnant - added to the fact that meat was the only thing I craved!
: I've been slowly eliminating it from my diet, again, but ds seems to have an allergy to dairy and soy, so that has certainly limited my options!

Where do you find how to make your own seitan? I love that stuff, and it is packed with protein, but it is pricey! Thanks for all the great ideas.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Have you tried adding beano to your first bite of beans before you eat them? It could keep the dissolved gasses out of the breastmilk I would imagine as you would be digesting the beans slightly differently.
Joline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.