Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
HI! I'm not sure where AA is (guessing Arlington??? ) we just relocated to D.C. (NW DC.. Dupont/ thomas circle area) and are a vegan family of four... our vegan children are 7 & 9, and would love to meet some other kids in the area! =) We are home-schooling so we do not meet kids at school....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there
Sorry for the confusion. I meant Anne Arundel County. We are in MD, just south of Baltimore. Our daughter is 2
Have you checked out the Vegetarian Society of DC yet? I hear that they have a ton of activities, including some that are family oriented. I'm always looking for other veggie families, but to be honest, DC is a bit far for us to travel
I hope you are able to meet with a lot of wonderful families!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Veggie mom here!!! I am in Annapolis and we have a split family.... I am a veggie and my husband isn't. We have a 3 month daughter and suspect she will be brought up veggie until she can ask for meat if she really wants to try it! How do you deal with iron etc?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there SHK
My husband is not vegan, either. However, he eats vegan 99% of the time with us. He is completely on board with raising dd vegan! As for the iron, she is still breastfed, so she gets a lot from me. As for solid foods, I get her to eat a lot of beans and such that are high in iron. I've seen/heard quite a few people say that iron from meat is not as well absorbed anyway. I am pretty confident that as long as your diet is balanced and you are eating a good variety of whole foods, your body and your dd's body will get what they need. If you haven't seen it yet, www.vrg.org has a couple of articles on vegetarian pregnancies, veggie during lacation, and raising veggie kids. It will help you understand what you and your child need, as well as makes suggestions for a daily diet plan.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am trying to find ways to increase the level of DHA in my breastmilk. I don't eat fish either, and while I take Flaxseed supplements, I was told that to get the right amount of the substances that convert to DHA I would need 5 times the amount of Cod Liver Oil, and Cod Liver Oil is one teaspoon for 50lb of adult body weight...that is A LOT of flaxseed oil!
So, I decided to try a supplement by Jarrow that is made for Lactating or pregnant women (or children), but the Omega 3 is from Cod Liver Oil. I thought for the sake of my daughter I would try it, but after one tablet I felt really awful so don't want to take that anymore!! I haven't had meat or fish in my body for 23 years, so I think I had some sort of reaction to it.
I was told about the Enfam.il tablet, Expecta which is apparently NOT from Cod Liver Oil. I was reluctant to try a tablet by a formula company, but was curious if anyone had tried it or come up with vegetarian and non fish eating ways to get enoug Omega 3/DHA ????????

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The omega 3 thing is very interesting and very confusing to me. It's not so much a matter of getting more omega 3s, as it is having the right balance of omega 3s and omega 6s. The idea is that most American diets are hight in omega 6, but low in omega 3, creating a wrong balance. However, most Americans eat meat and a large amount of fast food and other foods that many vegetarians don't eat any or a lot of. So, I think the information we get is flawed to begin with. "They" say you have to eat fish to get the best supply, but how many cultures in this world never eat fish? Personally, I add flax oil and groung flax seeds to smoothies or cereals when I can. I also snach on walnuts. I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. Once again, "they" say that the omega 3 supplements are needed for brain development. Well, all I know is that my still nursing 2 year old has been well ahead of the curve for all developmental milestones, and speaks better than the kids in my family that are not vegetarian and are a year older than her. Anyway, I know I am rambling and not really giving the help you needed. I am certainly not a nutritionalist or scientist or anything, but I really feel like the hype that is made about these things is a way for marketers to make more money. I relate it to dairy. How many people have grown up thinking they had to drink cow's milk in order to be strong and healthy? Well, the truth is, eating meat interferes with calcium absorbtion, which creates a higher need for calcium in meat eaters, and they are many other ways to get calcium without ever thouching cow's milk. However, the dairy industry has certainly done a good job at convincing people that there is no better way to get calcium than to eat meat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts