Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We eat meat, and love soups. Because of our food restrictions, most of our soups are chicken broth based. I either use homemade stock, or organic brands. THe bought stock costs quite a bit, and the homemade stock isn't cheap and takes a long time to cook.

I am looking for a few vegetarian soups we can eat regularly. We tend not to eat pureed soups, but I would be interested in suggestions. I like a mug of pureed soup for lunch or snack, but not for dinner.

Our food restrictions:
dairy, soy, beef, all legumes, all tree nuts, peanuts, gluten, shellfish, coconut, strawberry, tomato, citrus, chocolate

Not being able to eat beans and tomatoes has tripped me up for vegetarian soups.

We are trying hard to eat more cheaply, and I think this might be one way to reduce our costs, plus the soup will keep us warm in our cold winter apartment!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
We love this soup, its very quick and easy, even easier is you substitute baked and peeled sweet potatoes or canned pumpkin for the squash. My favorite vege bullion is the Rapunzel brand, its made somewhere in Europe, I want to say Germany, our co-op (through United Foods) carries it, I like all the variations and have been unable to beat it for cost and taste.

Quick Butternut Squash Soup

Here's a quick, light and creamy soup that warm you on the coldest night. Add some hearty whole grain bread and a tossed salad to make a very satisfying meal.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon salt dash of black pepper
3 cups broth
1 1/2 pounds peeled seeded and cubed butternut squash
grated parmesan cheese for garnish

Add oil, garlic and onion to large stockpot over medium heat. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add sage, salt, pepper, broth and squash. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until squash has a tender consistency). Use stick blender to lightly puree, leaving some chunks, or puree half of the soup in a food processor or blender and return to pot. Garnish with parmesan and sage.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Chicken broth isn't that expensive to make if you cook and serve the meat first, then make stock out of leftover bones. Or see if you can get "chicken bones" at your butcher or supermarket's butcher section for stock making. You can also make veggie stock with veggie scraps- either with or without bones (make veggie broth or veggie/chicken broth for soup bases.) If you have a slow cooker, you can put the scraps and water into the crock pot and let it simmer while you do other things.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I make a garden minestrone type of soup quite frequently. All you do is :

Fry up some fat of your choice. We generally use butter but I have used olive oil for vegan friends. Chop in leeks, celery & parsley & fry until slightly wilted. You could use onions & garlic too if you wanted. Then chop in pumpkin, carrots, yams, potatoes, kumara ie whatever root veges you can find. Cover with broth & simmer until done. If I have it around, I put in some gluten free quinoa pasta about 15 mins before it is done. You can also put in shredded green leafies like kale or some chopped up brussel sprouts & some cauliflower or brocolli at the same time. Season to taste & serve.

You can make a very simple purreed vegetarian pumpkin soup with just onions, garlic, pumpkin & some herbs & stock. All you have to do is purree it when it is cooked. Ditto with any other veges like you can do leek & carrot & purree that. Season it with nutmeg & it is really yummy. Basically you sort out your base such as onions & garlic or leeks & celery & parsley. Then chuck in whatever you can get that particular week & cook it. Purree & season to taste.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I am the soup queen! DH actually once put me on soup moratorium because I was making so many!

For your situation, I would try subbing rice or quinoa for your beans. That would be a good first start. Both can be tossed into a soup about 20 to 30 minutes before serving to simmer to perfection. Quinoa is a great whole foods that is extremely healthy.

How about Mushroom & Rice Soup? Onions, mushrooms, shredded carrots, maybe a little leek, stock, parsley, sage, bay leaf. Yummy. The rice will thicken it and make it a little creamy. For an extra punch of healthiness, add some shredded greens (collards or kale) about 10 minutes before finishing.

I almost exclusively use those little stock bouillon cubes. Rapunzel is gluten free, msg free, and vegan. Each cube makes two cups, and normally I will only put one in each pot of soup. Vegetarian soups kinda make their own "stock" with the herbs and sauteed onions. So they don't need so much in the way of stock, just a little extra help. Another secret, carmalize the onions very very slowly over a low heat with a little butter and a pinch of salt. This will instantly add extra depth to the flavor of your soup. I have one soup I make that is almost exclusively carmalized onions - creamy dill havarti soup, which doesn't help your dairy issue, sorry!

And another favorite here in the land of Pennsylvania dutch: Chicken Corn Soup

Chicken & stock
carrots
celery
onions
hard boiled egg
sweet corn
parsley
sage
celery seeds
salt & pepper

Delicious! Good luck and good soups!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quiona, rice, and millet are nice in soups. Adds a bit of texture and thickness without the wheat of pasta. Carrots, celerely, onions, garlic (even garlic paste) make a nice soup base. Diced squash in soup is wonderful as well. Kale, collards, or bok choy are nice addittions, too. And don't forget the lowly potato.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
We like "Orange Soup"

One onion, sauted. 5 - 6 carrots, one sweet potato or butternut squash or chunk of pumpkin.

Saute the onion, add other ingredients (chop veggies first), cover w/ water and boil / simmer until soft. Sometimes I add a bit of soup powder at the end depending on how the taste is. Puree & serve w/ crutons / chineese noodles / etc.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Leek soup

Sautte 6 chopped leeks in 2 Tbls. butter on low for about 20 minutes
Add 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
And 1- 1 1/2 lbs. thin slice red potatoes
Cook for another 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are done
You can add a cup of milk if you want it more creamy or other vegetables

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great ideas everyone. thanks

I am going to try the Rapunzul bullion that will give my veggie soups more punch.

Ruthla - thanks for the reminder about saving veggie scraps and making a veggie chicken broth. One self-induced problem I have is that I don't like roast chicken. It is too much, well. . . animal like. I was swinging pretty close to being vegetarian before our allergies popped up - except I was unwilling to give up chicken broth. I cook with bone in chicken breasts and keep the bones. I will check out where I can get bones locally, that would be a good idea.

I didn't think about using quinoa or millet, sounds good will try it.

I bet squash also gives soup a good flavor in the same way tomato would.

mmmmmm . . mushroom and rice soup. sounds great. will put that on my list

mmmmmmmm - I love soups and can't wait to try these ideas out

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I typed up my recipe, but my computer went wonky and I see it didn't post. Anyway, I love this curried carrot soup:

Ingredients:

- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or passed through garlic press
- approximately 2 pounds carrots, scrubbed and cut into same-size chunks
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- *optional* 1 cup plain yogurt or coconut milk (I know you wouldn't use either, and it turns out fine without them)
- salt and pepper to taste

What to do:

- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until the onions are softish, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir it up. Add the carrots and stir it well. Add curry powder and stir again.

- Pour in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are really tender, about 30 minutes.

- Pour into blender (in batches) and puree until smooth. Return to pan. If adding the yogurt or coconut milk, stir it in. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Yummy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.