Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been vegetarian for 9 years and I've been trying to go vegan off and on for about 2 years but I'm having a hard time. My daughter (3yrs old) is a very picky eater, I'm sure anyone with a 3 year old knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's so hard to cut out dairy and eggs and not give her too much soy. She doesn't like beans at all, I've tried making them many, many different ways and she knows when something has beans in it she won't eat it. So she mostly eats yogurt, pasta salad with broccoli (the only dressing she will eat on her pasta salad has dairy), snack crackers, occasionally tofu and she really likes boiled eggs. She drinks soymilk instead of cow's milk which is awesome but then if we try to go vegan then she's drinking soy milk all day, eating soy yogurt, soy margerine, soy cheese (which has NO nutrition), soy "meats", and then some tofu for dinner! That's just way to much soy, there is no way that's healthy. And it is SO hard (nearly impossible where I live) to find crackers that don't have dairy in them and usually the only way she will eat any kind of soup is by giving her some cute shaped crackers to swim in it. The eating eggs doesn't bother me so much (we get only organic of course) but the eating dairy does bother me. It seems like such a wholsome food and it is way more of a natural food than the soy cheeses and stuff they have out now, but, it's a natural food for calves not for humans. I just don't feel right being all about doing things naturally but then supporting baby calves being taken away from their mothers so that we can have the milk that is meant for them. So you can see why I'm stuggling. Any advice for me?
Thank you

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sigh, my twins are 4 and I can't even get them to eat vegetarian food WITH dairy let alone vegan. That being said have you let your DD try rice milk or almond milk? Mine won't drink them on their own but if I throw it in the blender with a bit of frozen banana and some carob powder and call it a milk shake they LOVE it!! That way you could give her some tofu without worrying that she eats nothing but soy all day long. Also what about trying her on some "chicken" nuggets and stuff made from seitan, also not soy. Hmmm veggie burgers? Will she eat homemade veggie burgers? My kids LOVE Meowee's veggie burgers (recipe from here) and they won't eat any other type of veggie burger, but those disappear before I can blink my eyes!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
First off, don't be too hard on yourself. You can only do the best you can do!

Since tofu is versatile for meals (it can be pureed into just about anything), you might consider trying to cut back on the other forms of soy you use, since you are concerned about that.

You could use almond milk instead of soy (or rice milk, but I find that too watery).

Have you pureed beans into sauces or smoothies?

Does she like nut butters? You can use those in a lot of sauces, as well. (We just made yummy peanut butter noodles from Vegan with a Vengeance.)

I think there used to be a non-soy vegan cheese on the market. Maybe Veganrella? I can't recall.

YOu might want to look at Joanne Stepaniak's Uncheese Cookbook for some more cheesy ideas.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just brainstorming here, ds is much younger than your dd and is still mostly a mama milk kind of guy...

Sprouted multigrain "bread" toasted with nut or peanut butter is a pretty wholesome non-soy kid pleaser

Quinoa is a good protein and you can season it savory for dinner or add sweets and a little soymilk for breakfast, like oatmeal.

Have you tried using vegan mayonaise on your pasta salad? maybe she wouldn't know the difference. Oh, that would be soy, though.

my ds loves broccolli, too. I make up some red lentils or yellow split peas and cook the heck out of them so they loose their bean shape. Throw in a few scoops of nutritional yeast and some veggie bullion and then stir in frozen broccolli. mmm-mmm, it's one of my faves.

With the broccolli (boy I hope that's spelled right!) my ds likes to dip lightly steamed florettes in hummus, too. That's bean in disguise!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to everyone for all the tips. I think do just need to get more creative. And now a store in my town is selling hemp milk so I'm going to try using that sometimes in place of soy milk. I used to really like rice milk but for some reason it is just not appealing anymore and my daughter liked it but she definatelly likes soy milk better. And rice milk isn't as nutritious as soy. She just stopped nursing about 2 weeks ago (I let her self-wean). And I know she doesn't absolutely need to be drinking a milk of any sort but she really likes it and it is good for her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.