Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up for a weekly delivery of locally grown organic veggies and I'm so pleased with the variety!!! The following are some of the things that came in my basket and I was wondering in anyone had any recommendations on how to prepare.

Pea Shoots

Fong-San

Baby Bak Choy

Oriental Turnips

Laratte Fingerlings

Summer Squash

Patty Pans

Tomatillos

TIA!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Tomatillos make a wonderful salsa. Peel them, wash them well (they have a naturally waxy/tacky coating) and then chop (or pulse in food processor) with a little onion, garlic, hot pepper to taste, and lime juice.

Summer squash and pattypans are delicious brushed with olive oil and cooked on a grill. We also eat them chopped and pan fried with fresh corn and black beans as a taco filling. A friend of mine grates summer squash and cooks it with taco seasoning mix and then uses it as a taco filling- that sounds good, but I haven't tried it. Both summer squash and pattypan can be used interchangeably with zucchini, so if you have a favorite zucchini bread recipe you could give that a try. I often bake zucchini bread in mini muffin tins and my kids go crazy for it.

My kids and I are nuts about baby bok choi. We usually eat it stirfriend in sesame oil and garlic. I am guessing the pea shoots would be good that way too and the fong san. I would probably serve them together with some tofu fried rice and miso soup.

Turnips are good boiled and mashed like potatoes. Gently steam the fingerlings and serve with peanut sauce. Or toss both in a curry.

When in doubt about how to use veggies at my house my fall backs are either to stirfry or to put them in a curry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.