Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a fitted last night.. its terry inner sandwhich between poly velour (from joann's) it looks beautiful! but DS wore it once and it leaked terribly. It seemed to fit him well.. the diaper didn;t seem to absorb at all it just rolled down the diaper and up his back ( he was napping). I though the velour was supposed to wick te moisture away? I made sure I washed it before he wore it.. what do you ladies think the problem is??

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he was napping, and he is a side sleeper.. he has had issues with leaky pocket diapers so I was making these in place of them for a night time diaper.. so do you think its for the same reasons that the pockets leak?? (most likely the fleece doesn;t wick the pee away in time and it just rolls up his back or down his legs). I thought that the poly velour would act as a stay dry inner and wick the moisture away..
now I don;t know what to do. he is very sensitive to being wet which is ok during the day becuase I'm home with him and change him very often but at night I really want something that will keep him feeling dry

· Registered
607 Posts
Right, if he's a side sleeper and the fleece can't move the pee in time, the velour might not be able to either. I don't think it's the pocket vs. fitted thing that's the issue, I think it's just that if he pees a lot at once, any kind of non-absorbent/stay-dry/wicking inner is probably going to have a roughly similar problem. You could experiment with other inners: suedecloth, minkee, velour, microfleece are all things people use for inners. I don't know if maybe a cotton or bamboo velour would work for you?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was just hoping to find something to leave him feeling dry for just at night.. looks like I might not be able to
I really don;t want to use any kind of disposable but I would have to change him like three or four times at night to keep him dry.. last night I woke him up while I was changing him cause I noticed he was wet and then he was up for like an hour and a half!

· Registered
607 Posts
I hear you! I always get weirded out by my baby sitting in wet, too, but to be honest, I'm not sure it bothers them the way it bothers us. Obviously if he's getting rashy, that's one thing, but if he's not and doesn't seem upset...? You might try something like prefolds or natural-fiber fitteds with a wool cover. The wool at least keeps it breathable.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah that is what I use during the day mostly prefolds and fitteds with longies or soaker shorts.. but he has a rash now.. although I think its from me trying to make wipe solutions and too much essential oil

· Premium Member
711 Posts
How many times did you wash the fabric/diaper? In my experience diapers need to be washed and dried five times before they start to absorb the moisture. The way that you explained that it "just rolled down the diaper and up his back" makes it seem to me that maybe you just need to wash it a few more times in order for it to become more absorbent. GL

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
A lot of your fabric store polys will repel rather than wick. You'd probably need to get ahold of something like microfleece for wicking. I just picked up a set of Bummis brand fleece liners and used those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.