Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know we have talked about this before, but why do peole feel the need to comment about your size when you are pregnant? Tonight I had a meeting I had to attend and it seems everyone had a comment on whether they thought I was too big or too small for how far along I am.

I feel really good about my pregnancy and have really trusted in my body. After so many comments it is so easy to let your mind start thinking, well maybe I am too small or too big. I just don't want that worry to start creeping in.

Even though I have measured either ahead or right on throughout my pregnancy tonight I keep thinking, well what if the baby is small and I haven't eaten enough protein or veggies or fruit or some other nutrient. I keep going in the bedroom to look in the full length mirror to access my belly. I am sitting here in tears for no real reason, but I just feel upset and angry that I let the comments get to me.

Why can't people just shut up and realize that their comments add stress that I don't want or need.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think people just don't get it. They think they are being funny or something.

We went to DH's company picnic last weekend and every.single.person said I looked like I was ready to pop at any minute. One guy even said that it looked like I shoved a basketball down my shirt. Umm...is that supposed to make me feel good?
: And DH has told me that since then people keep telling him how big I was and how I could have the baby anyday. Hello??? I am only 35 weeks. I still have at least a few more weeks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Oh, honey, big hugs. We've all been there -- whether we've been told we look enormous or that we look like weren't even pregnant. I have no explanation for why people say such stupid, stupid, stupid things to pregnant women, but I can tell you that I have not spoken to one pregnant woman who doesn't share the experience.

What I cannot explain or understand is women who have children and who have BEEN pregnant making stupid comments.

Don't let the bastards get you down!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I got the too small comments a lot too...not so much anymore since I am pretty much just staying in the house.
But when my doctor approved my leaving work a month earlier than I planned, a lot of people there were like "But you look so small! You can't be having that baby already!" Like I wasn't already really worried about this anyway, and like I really felt like going into a long explanation. I think, in some twisted way, some people actually felt like they were complimenting me, which is so messed up. If you aren't entitled to be as huge as you wanna be in late pregnancy, when are you?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
On the other hand, my DH works with all women. They were asking today how I'm doing. He said something to the effect that he thinks I'm going to go early because "I just don't think she can get any bigger" (meaning my belly, not any kind of snark intended--seriously, my belly is bigger than the gals' with twins). The women he works with misinterpreted and were sooooo offended...he really had to dig his way out of that one...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The *best* comment, and probably the ONLY good comment, I have gotten this entire pregnancy from a stranger came from a teenage waitress a few nights ago.
She asked when I was due and I told her and she smiled and said, "You look so good!" It didn't really mean anything, but I thought if there was anything she could have said, that was the right thing!

It also irritates me that people are starting to touch me. They will address Pixie and say, "Oh you're going to be a big sister" while rubbing my belly. UGH!!! Get your stinking hands off me!

Another pet peeve is when people tell Pixie, "It's going to be a boy!, look at how mommy is carrying down low...." Or the opposite. It really upsets her and I have to explain every time that they are just guessing and it will still be a surprise. She really wants a girl, so when someone says "I'm SURE it's a girl" it gets her hopes up. I'm really sick of it.

I've gotten that I'm too small to be due in Nov and even back in June I was told I was TOO HUGE and going to pop with twins at any second. People are stupid.
:

Manda

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
s Heather.

The comments are definitely frustrating and can be hurtful. I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

I'm SO sick of hearing "You don't look big enough to be having twins!" Ok, you got me. I'm lying.
:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Heather, I'm sorry the idiot truck made a delivery in your town this week. I have had so many awful comments and questions that I could write a book, but lately all has been quiet. It's probably bc I vented to this awesome DDC and got some great snappy comebacks, so I must give off an air of "don't mess with me anymore or I will bite your head off." Oh, well!

My favorite response that I keep in the back of my mind at all times is, "Excuse me, but I'm not used to such rude comments/personal questions from strangers."

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
for me its not so much the comments, but the stares!!! Argh! Its like people think a baby is about to pop out of my hoohaa right there or something. I wish they would make a comment instead so I could tell them I am having twins and then hopefully they'd stop staring.

One positive comment though I got earlier in the week - I was at Pottery Barn returning something and the lady that helped me told me I was the cutest pregnant lady she's ever seen

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can honestly say I don't get comments, probably because I'm a plus size tall mom so people are afraid to say something in case I'm just an odd shaped heavy person! I work with tourist in the summer and only had one woman starting at my belly while I was talking to her friends-so I just looked at her and said "yes". But when I'm talking to someone and they ask me my EDD it seems like the next things they say is either "oh, you've got awhile still" or "I bet your ready"-both of which annoy me!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have been having a really hard time w/ comments. I get "wow you must be having a huuuge baby" alot from random women I don't know! I have an ED history and have started having to force myself to eat because I feel like eating is making her unhealthy by being *too* big (i know there isnt actually such thing if i don't have GD).

Ugh, I was loving pregnancy until I started showing to everyone!

And guess what random old ladies...I'm measuring perfectly on time

I'm having my shower today and scared to death of the comments.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I am a big mama and my belly never looks that big, no matter how uncomfortable I am.

But I DO look pregnant now and still, people act like they don't have a clue. I think either they are being rude, or they're actually trying to be nice by not assuming I am pregnant. I have gotten so many comments lately that say, "OH! You're pregnant?!"

Jeez. I feel bad enough about the oddly shaped belly attached to my bodacious body

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I can not leave the house without comment, and I'm not due until the very end of November. The guy at best buy said "Wow, congratulations - is it twins?" Um, no, and still almost 8 weeks to go. Everywhere I go.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was at my SIL's out of state wedding a couple of weeks ago and must have had 15 people say 'oh, wouldn't it be funny if you went into labor at the wedding?' I was trying so hard to be polite (I think all these people were well-meaning--just didn't know what to say) but all I could do was look at them and say 'no, early labor in a strange city does not seem fun or funny to me, beside's I'd hate to overshadow the bride'. That changed the subject really quickly!
I have had mostly really , really nice comments (on my 'glow'/ how happy I look/ how people are sure that labor will go great and we'll have a happy baby). The few stupid comments makes me want to hug those nice strangers!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TulikaEma View Post
I was at my SIL's out of state wedding a couple of weeks ago and must have had 15 people say 'oh, wouldn't it be funny if you went into labor at the wedding?'
That's because something like that happens in movies and on TV so we forget real life is usually so much more boring!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I've gotten it both ways.

"Wow, seriously? You don't look big enough to be due in X weeks!"

and

"Oh my! A whole MONTH?! Are you SURE it's not twins?"

:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.