Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DW and I rented our home to a family member and her DP about 15 months ago. For the most part, they have been great. Rent has been a little late a few times, but nothing major and we weren't really stressing about it.<br><br>
She and her DP and now moving out June 1 and gave us notice. They paid rent to us the beginning of May and the check bounced (first time this ever happened). In some ways, I can see how it happened. DW and I usually only go to the bank a couple times per month, as our work income is direct deposited. When they gave us the rent check, they did not ask us to hold it and I deposited it within about two days. I guess one of their deposits did not go through until three or four minutes after the bank sent the rent check through. She did not tell me to hold it because we do usually not cash her checks for a week or two.<br><br>
I saw her a week ago and asked her what was up with rent, as we have not been paid. I was totally nice and asked if they were having problems or if they just did not have the money yet. She assured me the money was in their account and she just did not think to bring the check over. I spoke with her on Friday and she was going to have her DP bring the check over and leave it on the porch while DW and I were at work. Got home, no check. I texted her twice yesterday about it and once today and have not received a response. However, she has talked to other family members and been on FB, so I know she has "had time" to respond. I did speak with her very briefly yesterday about something else, but the conversation was brief enough that I did not bring it up and simply sent her a text message later.<br><br>
I'm beginning to feel upset about the situation. I feel as though she was willing to pay a deposit on another place and just is neglecting her responsibility to us. If she told me last week that money was tight, I would have been understanding and totally willing to work something out with her. But she assured me they had the money. The only thing I can think now is that they have spent it...this may not be true, but I can't think of any other reason she would avoid me. If they did spend it, that opens up a new can of worms....like screw us because they're moving anyway or that something else is more important that fulfilling an obligation.<br><br>
I am going to send her an e-mail tonight. Any suggestions on what to say? I'm feeling as though this is making me have negative feelings towards her and I do not want it to impact our relationship. I really care about her and want to tread lightly, while being assertive at the same time.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well, as someone who lives on a tight income I can see how it is entirely possible to think the money had gone out and spend what's in your account, only to find that it hadn't gone out and you're now totally screwed.<br><br>
However, I think she should be talking to you and sorting it out. Maybe she just feels embarrassed that they spent the money and now can't pay you? Or maybe she is worried there is going to be some kind of confrontation and so is avoiding you?<br><br>
I would try calling her. Texts and emails are too easy to avoid. I know you're pretty peeved and I can understand why but just try and be as absolutely understanding as possible. Maybe say that you understand moving is expensive and that they could give you what they can now and then set up an automatic payment for X amount every week / fortnight / month, whatever.<br><br>
Sorry I can't be more helpful, it must be tough seeing as it is family - it's not like you really want to get debt collectors involved, I imagine.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Family often do feel like they can screw family and get away with it.That is why you often see them in court! I would be angry since the bounce affects your banking and eventually YOUR credit.<br><br>
I am sure they know they owe and are now using that money to pay for a new place. I would talk to them ONE MORE TIME in person,and then I would take them to court if they did not pay.<br><br>
If they had apologized and set up even a $100 a month(or less) payment to make up I would be understanding.It looks like they are ignoring you and moving on.<br><br>
I would also let the new landlord know about them,and that you will be taking them to court for a bounce payment and non-payment on rent.It may seem mean,but they set this in motion not you.<br><br>
Ofcourse you can accept the loss and being screwed because they are *family* if that is what you feel is better.Do what you feel is best!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts