Mothering Forum banner

Vent: Does your boy wear a pink dress??

1K views 29 replies 28 participants last post by  Clarinet 
#1 ·
Okay, my beautiful baby is bald. Very bald. But she is all girl-long eyelahes over pretty blue eyes, cute little nose. Okay, so I know it can be hard to tell if babies are boys or girls. That is why I dress my little princess in lots of pink, a bracelet, and often, a dress. Everything we have is pink. Why in the world do I still get, "He is so cute?" and "What's his name?"
: Not rarely but several times a day when we are out. I am not talking subtle shades of pink- I am talking bright pink dresses! Seriously? I don't get it. It remids me of an episode I saw on "friends" where someone asks Rachel "Why would you put a pink bow on a boy?"

See less See more
#4 ·
I hate to admit that I have done this a time or two

Sum it up to focusing on the baby's face, being busy, whatever...I couldn't believe I did it either! Trust me, I bet the guilty person was just as surprised as you when they realized their mistake, although not everyone recovers well from embarassment.

#5 ·
Especially with your baby wearing a pink dress - you'd think they'd notice!!

I used to get that with DS, too. And he'd be wearing very obvious "boy" clothes as a baby. I didn't get it then; I don't get it now. And I got it with DD, too, but until recently, she wore a lot of hand-me downs from her big brother.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nancymom
I have boy/girl twins and they are always dressed in head to toe blue/pink. I get asked "Are they identical?" "Are they twin boys?" Yes, that is why one is covered in pink and one is covered in blue.
: I need more pink bows!
I have heard of people asking that when they knew it was a boy and girl! I guess sometimes you just have to chalk one up to stupidity, momentarily or otherwise.

#9 ·
I really think the lack of hair does is to blame!! DD #2 is over two years old and still has very short hair, while DD#1 Has long red curls. People are always asking DD#1 "How old is your little brother" or "What is your brothers name" etc. As you can imagine, we try to dress her in pinks and purples and frills etc. when we go out, but that doesn't matter. People assume she is a boy b/c she has short hair. It is rather funny though, b/c DD#1 is very outspoken, so when anyone asks about her "brother" she is quick to correct them (thankfully she does it politely) by saying "This is my SISTER, Name" or "My sister is 2 years old and I am 3 1/2). Take heart though, it seems like the babies who wait late to get their hair almost always have the thickest most beautiful hair of all when they get a little older!!!

#10 ·
I have a baldy here, too, and she has the most beautiful blue eyes so I LOVE dressing her in blue, not baby blue but a nice royal blue, so yeah I always get the "he" thing.

It is most appreciated when people are sensitive enough to say, "you have the most beautiful BABY" to me that is their way of asking, "boy or girl?"

#12 ·
i like to really confuse them. my dd has a couple of blue outfits that have flowers all over them. people just don't know WHAT to say!

no, but seriously, that happens to us too. it's irritating but my dh always says, 'you're not going to live very long if you keep getting upset about stuff that small.' Right-o, man. Thanks for reminding me.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nancymom
I have boy/girl twins and they are always dressed in head to toe blue/pink. I get asked "Are they identical?" "Are they twin boys?" Yes, that is why one is covered in pink and one is covered in blue.
: I need more pink bows!
People always say "oh a boy and a girl" to me when I have both of my girl twins dressed in pink. When I've asked which dd they thought was a boy I get different answers from different people.

#17 ·
oht
just wanted to add that my dh was a beautiful blue eyed, long goldy-locked boy till he was 5 or so. his moher dressed he and his sister in coordinating outfits so he often wore pink. he sais, and i think he is probably right, that his looks changed the way people talked to him and then his early self image. none of that "man to boy" sort of talk. and- he is the most sensitive caring person i know and he can even wear a skirt so comfortably and still masculinly that even my grandpa likes him! hope that gives you hope.

#19 ·
Quote:
Especially with your baby wearing a pink dress - you'd think they'd notice
could being colour blind mess with that? I am thinking red/green anyone know?

My dd sea o' pink, everyone in my building (which was mostly grad students from China) used to tell me what a beautiful boy, until I asked, they said they dress boys in red and pink is really light red....
which it is
just not here...

my ds2 has a sweetface soft doll like with blonde curls he used to get 'girl' all the time, then people would appologize...lol. you can't always tell!

we had a friend comming over I told my dad and stepmom our friends and their baby girl were about to arrive...
my dad walks downstairs what a handsome boy, they corrected him then....my stepmom walks in behind him says what a cute little man....duh

#20 ·
My best friend got this all the time and then she finally snapped

"Do I LOOK like the kind of mother who would dress her son in pink?" she finally said. She went on with a few more things, but it totally cracked me up. Her daughter was always in frills and she did the whole infant ear piercing thing too (we were both really young then...she wouldn't do that one again LOL)

#21 ·
I dress my dd in comfy clothes that usually were pink when she was little. Every time I took her out, I was told what a handsome boy I have. One time, I had this conversation while waiting in a LONG line at the grocery store:

Woman: Isn't he cute!
Me: I think she is.
W: What's his name?
M: Sarah
W: Why in God's name would you name your son that? Do you want to mess him up?
M: Well, I liked the name so much I just decided I'd use it no matter what. And besides, this is my DAUGHTER!

Then the lady walked away muttering something about bread.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiloh
My dd sea o' pink, everyone in my building (which was mostly grad students from China) used to tell me what a beautiful boy, until I asked, they said they dress boys in red and pink is really light red....
which it is
just not here...
Ahhhhhhh...yes it often is asians who have made these comments...that makes me much less annoyed. I guess culteral differences play in.

#23 ·
This happens to me all the time, even if dd is wearing her girliest outfit. Erin, I have had the same conversation with people, except for the name part
My dd's name is Cora, so sometimes they think I said Cory.
Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but if I'm not in a great mood it can be really annoying.

#24 ·
My daughter has a girlie face, IMO, and I dress her in more girlie colors because those are my favorites, but she has been called a boy many times. Not just, "He's cute," but "What a cute little BOY!" I just smile and say, "Yeah, she's almost ___ months old," rather than make a fuss. I figure if they're saying she's cute, that's good enough and I should just accept the compliment on her behalf.

#26 ·
this is so funny because at this point our little darlings can care less if people mistake their sex... but i can totally relate.

when dd was younger (she's a year old now) i would dress her in any color any pattern...including blues, cars, trucks, butterflies, whatever. sometimes i would enjoy fooling people...and sometimes, which was really amazing, people would still get her sex right..and i would be like, "how'd you know she was a girl?"

now, irarely dress her in dresses. and i actually prefer the clothes in the boys section--the cargo pants and sandals seem more durable to me, and dd is very active. i just but a pretty bow in her hair to mark her gender for now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.