Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, but you probably know how I might feel, being pregnant as well.

I am so freaking sick of men in this city calling me variations of pig/fat sow when I am 30+ weeks pregnant. Yes, I am 20 lbs overweight anyway on a 5 10" frame... but I'm VERY PREGNANT so give me a goddamned break and shut your mouthes. This happened with my first son as well. I was actually feeling pretty today.. was being the operative word. I know that this should not bother me at all but for some reason I am really upset by it.

·
Registered
748 Posts

That is *awful*!! Do you say anything back to them? I would be livid if someone said anything like that to me EVER - let alone when I'm pregnant. That is beyond rude. I'm so sorry you have to put up with that, mama!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am SO sorry and sad to hear this momma! Where the h*ll do you live??? I am 6-1 and carrying some extra weight as well, so I know how it feels to be the "big girl"---ugh I HATE when people say that. But I have never experienced what you have! That's pretty shocking.
You should continue to feel pretty! Don't let others determine how you feel about yourself. Just keep being strong.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Holy shit. I would give them a piece of my mind and then rip them a new one. How DARE they be derogatory to an expectant mother? Do none of them have wives or mothers of their own? What jerks!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
: OMG. And I'm sure they were all fit and groomed and looking fine. What pigs. Opinions of such sh*ts shouldn't matter, but when they're entitled enough to just blurt them out, I know it's hard to ignore. Maybe they just have confusion and issues with pregnant women.
Hugs to you.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
All my life I have seen round mothers-to-be and found them breathtakingly beautiful. You are the height of feminine beauty right now, the example of fertility and life. Please, don't let what some ignoramuses say color your view of what is truly beautiful. Its better to be alone than in the company of fools.

Sometimes, I feel like I live in a nation of fools, where those who starve themselves to the point of burning out their digestive tracts are the "faces of beauty." They have no idea what true beauty is.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My male co-worker told me I was looking "lumpy"!! and then my female boss started laughing and started calling me "lumpy". I think some people just have no class. So sorry people treated you that way. It's absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I admit I've never really found being pregnant extra beautiful.
Cute sometimes, but I don't feel beautiful when pregnant and I know it's really hard to stay slim and like your usual self. I gained a lot of weight while preggers. Yet unattractive? Never. I always just thought, well, you're pregnant. You're carrying around a LOT of extra weight (baby, extra blood, bigger uterus, placenta...) are likely hungry and tired. I just don't get the disapproval.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
OMG, what JERKS! That would make me really mad too. Why would anyone think it is ok to say something like that to another person?! You need to arm yourself with a nice little sarcastic comeback. Or just be honest and say something like "I'm sorry, did I look like I was asking for your opinion about my appearance?" or "Wow, you sure know how to make a pregnant woman feel good about herself!" or even "I'm sorry I don't measure up to your standards of what pregnancy should look like"

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
pregnant or no in my opinion it is totally rude to say to someone that they are fat. That just causes hurt feelings.

Strangers, work colleagues or family they just shouldn't. As if the person themself is clueless. Sheesh!

You know what you could retort back?

I may be fat but you're ugly. At least I can lose weight.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone... I bitched about it online and then yesterday evening watched some positive movie clips and did my exercises. AND did that thing that I always forget to do where you go over an incident as if you're watching it on a screen, and then rewatch it the way you would have had it go. It sounds so extreme but this really really bothered me.

I live in a city in Germany which is wonderful in many respects, but (and this is not coming from a chubby perspective, as I felt this way about it when visiting before kids when I was in great shape) it is extremely snobby and superficial and has an inordinate amount of skinny skinny people. It's the norm to see women pushing their babies in the buggy, tiny babies like 1 month old, in stilettos and dressed to the nines...looking like they had never been pregnant at all. When I say skinny I mean 5 8" 115 lbs skinny, not just slender without excess fat. Any pregnant woman I've ever seen, including the ones I know personally, has had the celeb look...Gweneth Paltrow figure with a bump.

And no.. I never made comments back
I've always been one of those people who is completely inable to come up with comebacks to rude people. I was just so taken aback that I could not say anything.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow. I'm so sorry. I generally eschew violence of any kind, but I think if I were in your situation I'd have gotten in a real fist-fight by now...Or at least had a good grab and twist of some pig's twig and berries....
: I definitely applaud you for taking the high road and not resorting to any of the things I would have done to these jerks by now!!

I'm 6 mos. pregnant and my mother, of all people, every time she'd walk into the room would blow out her cheeks to make a "fat-face" look, poke out her belly, and waddle around...this little act was usually followed by a happy "what's up tub-a-licious!!" She only did it because she was so happy I was pregnant, and was really excited when I started to show...it took a few attempts to get the point across that it wasn't cute, it was rude, and I was going to blow a gasket if she kept it up!!

Keep being positive!! I know it's easier said than done, when something gets under your skin like that you just can't turn off your emotions like a light switch...but you know you're beautiful, and you're carrying a baby! The most important job in the world! Something those shallow pigs obviously don't understand...but, whatever, their loss!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.