Mothering Forum banner

Vericose Veins?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Full Heart 
#1 ·
What can I do for it? I have a really nasty one on my thigh. It hurts, especially if I have been sitting for a while. Would witch hazel compress do anything for it?

Michelle

#2 ·
I also have nasty varicose veins that just popped up over the past few weeks. I talked to my midwife and she suggested rest and keeping my legs elevated as much as possible. Not an easy feat with a toddler running around!
She did suggest keeping a few pillows under my feet while I sleep.
The other things she said to try was arnica jel, ice, and drinking nettle tea.

I have heard and read that they can disappear or fade after pregnancy. Let's cross our fingers!

#4 ·
Oh, boy...do I have my fair share of knowledge about these nasty suckers!! If you have a family history of them, they probably won't go away. If they do, you probably won't be so lucky with subsequent pregnancies. I have a family history of vericose veins and with my third pregnancy, they stayed but weren't so bad after I delivered. With my fourth pregnancy, I was in SO much pain from them. They were in my hootchie, down my thighs, all the way to my toes. My legs were totally blue and purple. After I had him, I had to have the bad ones striped...he was about a 18mos old then. They told me I would get more the more babies I had. Five days after I had the surgery, I found out I was pregnant! They're back, and it's the most miserable pain in the world.

If you can, elevate your legs all the time. Another great thing is compression stockings. But really, there's nothing you can do to prevent them.
: So, I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to have more striped and no more babies for my poor body!! :LOL

#5 ·
Hi there. Just visiting from Jan 2006. Couldn't resist the alluring title of your thread!

I have 'em, too. This is my third pregnancy and I developed one vv during the second and am having lots of itching and some pain all over my thighs this time. I've gotten more aggressive with my research about what do to to prevent them. I do drink nettle tea daily (mentioned in one of the pps). I also take a vitamin E supplement daily (400 IU, which I understand is the safe supplementation level for pg.) The best thing I've learned lately is about Hamemelis 3X, the homeopathic remedy for vv. It works! It completely took care of my itching and pain. Gone! And I understand it's safe during pregnancy, as I read about it in "Natural Pregnancy" by Galaskas.

And, I've broken down and gotten a prescription for support hose from my midwife. Given that I am due in Dec, I can probably get away with wearing them during the fall. Arrrgh!

By the way, my vv did go away after my second pregnancy. It still shows, but doesn't stick out like it did.

Happy last trimester September mamas!

Emily

#6 ·
Thanks ladies, Thats really great advice. When I was putting arnica on my sore arm last night from the blood draw I wondered if it would work on my vv too - good to know it might help. Its kinda hard for me to keep my feet up when I have 5 kids. I have no family history of them. My mom never even had one and she had 6 kids too. Good to know they can go away - I was worried they wouldn't and would have to go have it taken care of after the baby was born.

Michelle

#7 ·
I'll say it once: Dandelion Leaf Tea!!!!!

You need to actually brew the tea, not just eat the dandelion leaves. Go pick a bunch in your backyard and simmer them for 5-10 minutes, and strain (you can also dry the leaves upside down for later use). I found that drinking at least two 8 oz. cups has a two day preventative effect for me, although you should try drinking it every day.

Also avoid sexual intercourse (if you can
)-- this can irritate the veins that reach up to the groin from the leg.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehsclt
I also take a vitamin E supplement daily (400 IU, which I understand is the safe supplementation level for pg.)
be careful with the Vit E b/c it can cause retained placenta. Yes, 400 IU is supposedly safe, but I would still err on the side of caution, esp. if you are already taking a pregnancy vitamin that was Vit E in it, or consume Vit E rich foods already.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee
I'll say it once: Dandelion Leaf Tea!!!!!

You need to actually brew the tea, not just eat the dandelion leaves. Go pick a bunch in your backyard and simmer them for 5-10 minutes, and strain (you can also dry the leaves upside down for later use). I found that drinking at least two 8 oz. cups has a two day preventative effect for me, although you should try drinking it every day.

Also avoid sexual intercourse (if you can
)-- this can irritate the veins that reach up to the groin from the leg.
Um..thats really not a problem right now
. My kids are just getting over whooping cough - 4 at once. We weren't even sleeping any this last mos.

So dandelion tea probably wouldn't be a good idea if you are allergic to them huh :LOL And since I live in the desert I think they would be a bit hard to find.

Michelle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.