Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been using Very Baby(AIO's) for a few months and I cannot figure out how to keep them from leaking!
DD isn't a heavy wetter and they leak(around her legs) after a relatively short period of time. I make sure they are on securely and that the lining is tucked in. I have also washed them several times because I was told that would increase absorbancy, but nothing seems to be helping. I can't use them at night at all because they leak so badly(even when we use an extra insert)! Any suggestions??? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Have you tried drying them hot? That's how you seal the holes in the PUL from sewing.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wow, I have never had a VB AIO leak or wick unless it was WAY saturated....even then, it is only at the waistband of her pants were it touches the birdseye.

Try drying them on hot a few times. I would think that would take care of it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My son could wick our VB's. The first pee always made the PUL around the legs wick. I think one problem is that mine were birdseye and it just isn't as absorbant as the hemp or OC that I was used to.
It's amazing how just plain old PUL can wick.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have 2 that I had from my daughter and they always leaked with her.. and she's not a heavy wetter. I just chalked it up to idiocy on my part, maybe she should have been a medium at the time I got them.

I have been using them on my newborn son (size small) and he wicks out of them every time even if I fold the doubler up and put it right up front. And this is a newborn in a size small... they are snug enough on his legs but the rise is insane, so they're still a bit "big" on him.

I have 2 newborn size vb's that I made from him with the pattern and used flannel instead of birdseye and I don't even have to use a doubler in those! The birdseye is always super saturated/soaked... I'm thinking birdseye just plain sucks.

edit: also wondering if the wahm who made my 2 smalls (both wick/leak) used cotton thread or something. hrm.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Maybe you need to size up?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wash them in hot water with a small amount of ALL Free and Clear and then dry them on hot-always. They are made of organic birdseye...maybe that is the problem. DD only wears them during the day...there is NO WAY they would hold up an entire night. We've been forced to use disposables at night for the time being. Should I get another kind of CD? We used to use Fuzzi Bunz, but switched when we needed to up the size...thought we'd try something new. I guess we should have stuck with what worked. Has anyone ever used Swaddlebees? We just want something that is trim(I was told VB's were trim, but they really aren't that great) and absorbant! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The F&C detergent may be at fault. Free and clears seem to cause a lot of buildup for many people, and if you've got buildup the pee will roll off the fabric and out the legs before it can be absorbed. I would strip them with Dawn and lots of hot wash/rinses (fake out the machine by resetting to hot wash) and see if it improves.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The "best" detergent depends on your water, your diapers, and a bunch of other factors. A lot of people like Tide (regular, not free). If you have a Wal-Mart or sporting goods store you can get a detergent called Sportwash that is a very low-buildup detergent (but is also very gentle, so you may have to do an occasional wash in a harsher detergent). I've always liked Tide, and use it very successfully for my fitteds that are used with wool. The synthetic fibers in my pockets and micro inserts have been a harder nut to crack; right now I am doing a combination of Dawn dish detergent (one squirt in the first short agitation cycle) and Sportwash (3/4 cap in a warm/warm wash that comes after I spin out that first short cycle). A hot/cold cycle to make sure they're both totally out of the fabrics, and that seems to be very effective.

Dawn works well as a stripping agent (and as a regular detergent, even) because it is a pretty harsh detergent (which is just a fancy word for a thing that strips grease off of surfaces). It's more concentrated than a regular laundry detergent and it doesn't have any of the other stuff (enzymes, brighteners, additives that are supposed to help get fabrics looking good, softeners, etc.) that can eventually build up in cloth.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Yeah All free & clear = death to absorbancy. I used that on my first few cloth diapers and it killed their absorbancy I've heard that the free + clear detergents are more waxy and create buildup issues. I've been using Tide for over 2 years now and have never had a problem. I swear by Tide.

Strip your diapers and try them out again. Like the other mama mentioned, Dawn dish liquid works well at stripping diapers. I use about 2 tablespoons to strip. You might have to do a few extra hot rinses, til the suds dissappear. I hope this fixes your problem!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
: on the All F&C issue. I got buildup within just a couple washes with that stuff!!!!

Now I use Tide, and it works much better with my water. The diapers actually rinse clean - no more suds in the water all the time! I mentioned this in another post, but the All F&C and Tide were both purchased at Sam's, and they both have clear, plastic measuring cups. When I used All F&C, I could NOT get the detergent out of that plastic cup. No matter how much I rinsed (right away - not letting it sit for even a second), it would not all come out. I would throw it in the wash with the laundry, and it still came out cloudy. My Tide measuring cup is always perfectly clean, just by rinsing it. Seeing that difference made a huge impression on me!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I'm convinced...Tide it is! I'll try stripping the CD's and then start over with Tide. I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks for your help!
We have another baby on the way, does anyone know of a good newborn diaper?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I just never had any luck with VB with my DD no matter what I did. I have some for my new baby though hoping that his/her lighter newborn wetting will be ok with them.

I agree, switching from A&C may just help the situation... but don't be surprised if it still doesn't help with the VBs. One of the reasons we have so many options with WAHM diapers is because not every brand works for every baby!

Very Baby is a GREAT design. And they work for a TON of babies... I just have one baby that they don't work for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.