Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure if I've posted here before. I'm just so overwhelmed with the info.

Anyway, I just need some encouragement. I ordered the 8th grade Oak Meadow curriculum for my son today. He's a smart kid, tests well, but doesn't perform well in school due to lack of focus in getting homework done. So I decided since I'm home with my new babe, I'd try homeschooling for a year to see how it goes. I can't do any worse than the school has been, that's for sure!

I know a lot of people unschool, but I'm just not ready for something so unstructured yet. We're going to supplement the Oak Meadow with learning Japanese, computer tech (I'm a computer techie and so is my hubbie), cooking, sewing, ancient egypt, environmental concerns, etc.

Anyway, guess I just wanted words of support that yes i CAN do this

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes! You CAN do this.

Just remember that FLEXIBILITY is the key to happy homeschooling. If something isn't working - put it away and do something else. You may or may not come back to it, and it's O.K. If you get off track of your schedule - it's O.K. If you drop, say Japanese, and decide to look into Marine Biology instead mid-year - it's O.K. If you end up only doing part of the curriculum, or doing it out of order, or doing it by following the schedule to the letter - it's all O.K. O.K.?

Laura

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
You can do it. So can he. The nice thing about an 8th grader is that you don't have to sir down and teach them everything. There's a lot he'll be able to do on his own. It sounds like you have a lot of good stuff picked out to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.