Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, forgive me, because I know this is going to come out sounding very, very weird!

We live in a state with no philosophical exemption (we have chosen to delay, but can't select), so the varicella vaccine is mandatory unless the child gets the pox. I would like DSs (and myself, since I'm not immune) to get the pox...but the timing right now is not ideal as DS #2 is so small, DH is currently sick, and I would potentially be very sick too.

Right now, my DH has shingles. Shingles *could* cause chickenpox, but it's highly unlikely that DS#1, DS#2, and I would catch it without really direct contact with the virus. Still, I feel like an opportunity is passing us by...the pox doesn't come around too often.

So here's really strange part...is it possible to maybe save the virus (I was thinking of maybe freezing a cotton pad soaked in his blister fluid)? Is that an insane/dangerous/silly/fill-in-the-adjective idea?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
It sounds like you will be choosing to do certain vaccines but not others.

Personally I would not expose my child to CP on purpose until he was old enough to express to me how he was feeling (2 or above?).

I don't think your trying to keep a sample of it for future exposure is that nutty actually. Although I'm not sure how su ccessful it would be.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The vaccine itself is supposed to be stored frozen so maybe it would work??

I suppose it is worth a shot...worse thing that could happen is nothing right?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case anyone was wondering, looks like it's a moot point because we got the pox anyway (accidentally, of course).
Seems that it's easier to catch chicken pox from shingles than DH's doctor thought...

We're hanging in there!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
In case anyone was wondering, looks like it's a moot point because we got the pox anyway (accidentally, of course).
Seems that it's easier to catch chicken pox from shingles than DH's doctor thought...

We're hanging in there!
yeah for natural immunity
. remember to NOT give tylenol!!!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Oh, I was going to say you might really try not to catch them yourself. I have a friend who exposed her dd but did NOT get them herself, much to her relief (and she did a ton of things to boost her immunity, etc).

For you, I would do a quick read/research on acyclovir and/or getting the vaccine to minimize your symptom I wish I had more info for you, but I had cp and dh did, so I didn't research this much and really don't know enough other than it is a possibility. Since it can really be severe for adults it, imo, changes the situation a bit and you might decide that for you taking these measures is worth it.

My dd brought home cp and we shared and ds got it too, so I'm a big fan for natural immunity for our children too=== partly for the reason that you are dealing with now, it is just so much milder for children and I would consider the vax if they hadn't got it and were gettting towards adulthood.

Good luck momma... hope you all have just 'good enough' cases to get that immunity.

Jessica

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
CP/Shingles is highly contagious so I am not surprised that you all have CP now.
And as a PP said, no tylenol.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Tylenol depletes glutathione and has been noted to cause mitochondrial damage.

The mainstream media even reported on a recent study where Tylenol was found to reduce the efficacy of vaccinations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.