Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p> </p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">Hi,</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);"> </p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">My daughter is 35 months old and until 1 month back (I am 17 weeks pregnant) she was nursing once in the night to sleep. I have suspected that I had no milk since 3-4 months before pregnancy so about  months of 4-5 months of dry-suckling and last month no nursing (it was painful and I have been wanting to wean her anyway. )</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);"> </p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">Last night (we co-sleep) in the middle of the night I woke up to a little patch of wetness on the bedsheet (she is still not night-trained for potty)...I started feeling her pant and shirt and sure enough they were wet ..but I also realized that the area near both by breasts was wet too (shirt I mean).</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">I freaked out  - I couldn't be leaking colostrum at 17+ weeks can I?</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">The other possibility is that she had her bum nestled against my chest when she peed and it somehow overflowed through the diaper (this has happened a few times before especially if her diaper gets bunched up and overflows) and wet my shirt...</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">..but I cannot shake the feeling away...</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">Any mamas who nursed through pregnancy- any experiences?</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">If mamas had been nursing through pregnancy and their milk dried up during pregnancy - when was the earliest it started back up again?</p>
<p style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">Please help!</p>

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
<p>According to Kellymom, if you are nursing during pregnancy "The changeover between mature milk and colostrum production begins, on average, between the 4th and 8th month of pregnancy, but some mothers start producing colostrum somewhat earlier than that."</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-preg/16milkchanges/" target="_blank">http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-preg/16milkchanges/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>It could be colostrum, milk or urine, lol, but it doesn't sound like something to be worried about.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck with the pregnancy!</p>

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thank you.. I think what happened was that I leaked and she peed - both ..since of course I cannot imagine leaking so much... very weird.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have another question now.. if I continue leaking throughout pregnancy then what happens after baby is born? I want them to have enough colostrum before my milk comes in...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That link in Kellymom is confusing "<span style="font-family:'Droid Serif', Calibri, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:14px;line-height:22px;">At birth, the sudden decrease in progesterone and estrogen levels (and resulting surge in prolactin levels) that occurs with the birth of the placenta causes colostrum production to kick into high gear and signals your milk to “come in.” Once your baby is born, the amount of time you produce </span><a href="http://www.mother-2-mother.com/colostrum.htm" style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;color:rgb(68,51,204);font-family:'Droid Serif', Calibri, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:14px;line-height:22px;" target="_blank">colostrum</a><span style="font-family:'Droid Serif', Calibri, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:14px;line-height:22px;"> is limited, since your mature milk will begin to come in within a few days."</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="font-family:'Droid Serif', Calibri, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:14px;line-height:22px;">Is it saying - that since I was producing cclostrum since a long time the colostrum now is limited versus if I had not leaked at all??? Or is that my paranoia?</span></p>

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
<p>No, the time you produce colostrum (from what I understand) is unrelated to when you start producing.  After you give birth (placental detachment plays a big role in this, which is one reason why if a woman is just not producing any milk they should make sure the placenta fully detached).  You can't use up the colostrum--- it will just keep coming until your body signals that it has given birth and then milk production begins--- that can take more or less time for each woman and during each pregnancy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>:)</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts