Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My little monkey has her first cold (behold the power of breastmilk!!) she is pretty congested and is having a hard time sleeping and nursing. Is it okay to put vicks vapo rub on her chest to help break it up? The bottle says call a doc on kids under 2.

Any other advice on making her feel better? She still has plenty of energy and doesn't act like she is feeling all that bad.

Thanks Mamas!!
Mel

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I remember hearing it wasn't good...can't remember why.
We do Vicks on the humidifier (it's designed for it on the machine)
Or try a hot shower too

Dawn

·
Registered
52 Posts
we used the vicks that you put in the nightlight. the one that's made for the vapors. cant remember the name though. it was just enough vapor in the room to break up the chest congestion but not so strong it could harm. i think we got it on the same isle as the vapor rub.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Nope - says on the container not to use on a child under 2 (maybe 3, I can't remember now).

It's really harsh stuff - my 4-yr old can't stand it because it burns his skin.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Vicks seems awfully strong for a little one, plus it's in a petroleum base. I would be really reluctant to rub that on my baby's body.

Have you tried running the shower very hot, going into the room with her, and shutting the door? Often the steam with help loosen any congestion. Making sure she has lots of fluids (nursing, water in a sippy cup) will help as well. Oh, and OTC saline solutions (Little Noses is one I think) can help break up the boogers. Even better, squirt some breastmilk up there (seriously!)

Good luck! I hope your little sweetie feels better soon.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Nope it's because of the camphor in it. Just google camphor and babies and you'll see why but basically it can collapse their lungs.

However there is such a thing as baby vicks and it's awesome. They should have some at your local walgreens or other drug store.

Also they have specific plug in units for children too so if you go that route make sure you get the right kind. We usually use both the baby vicks and the plug in.

ETA: also one of the other ingredients is turpentine. I can't believe my parent's generation were made to swallow that stuff and lived to tell the tale!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Also, Tom's of Maine has a much gentler chest rub for that purpose (used when pg).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts