Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else saw mention of this product in the recent issue of Mothering-- they are shelf-stable capsule-form probiotics marketed for children. I looked at their website and was shocked to find they didn't have an allergen statement- I emailed them and received the following reply.

What do the rest of you think about this product?

Quote:
Good point, Ms. [X], as our formulations are so hypoallergenic. In fact, one of the most fascinating success stories about Vidazorb® to date concerns a young boy with serious food allergies and crippling eczema whose family was told "modern medicine has failed you." I personally come from an immune-compromised family as my sisters and I were all Caesarian births. As you may know, Caesarian births correlate with immune disease in families, extending generations! I mention this as I know some of the difficulties and dangers parents and children face with food sensitivities and allergies.

Because we make Vidazorb® as if it were a pharmaceutical (totally voluntary on our part) we would have to run something akin to clinical trials to "prove" that Vidazorb® doesn't do this or that. However, we know that our ingredients are safe from assorted testing before they are even added to our formulation. In fact, every new batch of ingredients has to undergo renewed testing at an independent lab to assure quality and safety. Moreover, we know it's safe because the bugs like it! Probiotic bacteria strains are fussy and delicate. It took me seven years to come up with a successful formula that kept the bugs happy and alive on the shelf, without refrigeration in useful numbers for more than two years. We constantly test Vidazorb® at independent labs to assure quality and safety.

Finally, I can definitively say that Vidazorb® contains no dairy/casein, gluten, egg white, tree nuts or shellfish. You might find the SmilingMom blog of interest. Her son's story is featured on our Web site, too.

Thank you for your interest in Vidazorb® and making a suggestion to improve our marketing.

Frank Hodal

Prresident and CEO of Little Calumet Holdings, LLC the creators of Vidazorb®

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I'd ask what they're grown on. It's legally correct to say their is "no" dairy with dairy grown probiotics, so long as there are only very, very small amounts of dairy proteins left - but some kids still react to that. Also, they contain sucralose (Splenda, artificial sugar), which *I* react to (it gives me headaches, and I don't have food intolerances!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good question, mamafish9, and I'm happy that mothers are questioning the safety and value of probiotic supplements. Here are some answers.

The probiotic strains used in Vidazorb supplements come from Chr. Hansen in Denmark. I use them in Vidazorb because they are safe and have been used in numerous scientific studies and clinical trials. These strains are fermented in a proprietary growth medium that is guaranteed to be uncontaminated by the Big Eight allergens: Dairy, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts, Fish, Crustaceans, Soy and Wheat. Of course, the best proof of this is that millions of people consume these proprietary strains without any allergic reaction. In fact, one young boy, not yet four, was so stricken with food allergies and eczema that his parents were told that "modern medicine had failed them." To everyone's surprise (mine included) and delight, Vidazorb Belly Boost helped change that in just three days. Young Ethan has gone from a diet of just three foods to eating very much like a normal child. Even pizza! Even burgers!

We've worked hard to make Vidazorb safe and beneficial for everyone. It took us seven years of trial and error to make it happen. Now we can offer the consumer a shelf-stable, non-refrigerated delicious chewable they can take anywhere. It is safe for diabetics (of which I am one), too. One of the reasons we use sucralose is to avoid diabetic complications.

As for mamafish9's reaction to sucralose I wish I had an answer. We know it's safe because so many billions of people around the world use it without incident. The very latest review of sucralose adds to its scientific and medical clean-bill-of-health. (For more information to to: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science...d-Expert-panel)

However, scientific results notwithstanding, a headache is a headache. Are you allergic to all artificial sweeteners? What about sugar in general? I've met two people who are very allergic to honey. My own sad case is that I suddenly became ill to beef, pork and lamb! Very allergic. Anaphylactic shock allergic. Three times in the hospital before figuring out what was trying to kill me allergic. No 4th of July burgers. No wife's holiday leg of lamb. No ham sandwich. Only my doctor is happy. Turns out that scientists at the U. of Virginia have discovered that my allergy is the result of tick bites! Evidently, my body confuses the protein in a T-bone with a very similar in tick spit!

I'm not trying to make light of your dilemma but only pointing out that anyone can have an allergic reaction to anything. Sometimes, as we all know, fatally. But the ingredients in Vidazorb have been proven safe by the most telling trail of all--regular use by people of all ages all over the world.

I can understand a parent's reluctance to give anything to a child with food allergies. I learned all about that with that young boy I mentioned, Ethan. You'll find his story and his family's story at our Web site, www.Vidazorb.com.

I hope I've been able to successfully address some of your concerns and that you'll include useful probiotic strains in your diet. Remember, you are what you absorb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was directed to this conversation and really wanted to weigh in as we faced these same challenges with our little boy (which Frank Hodal told you about). He suffered from severe food allergies/intolerances as well as severe Eczema. He was so miserable and itchy and could hardly sleep at night and we could not find ANYthing that did not seem to aggravate his condition. He was only able to eat chicken, peas and rice bc he seemed to flare up from any other foods. After learning about the many potentially dangerous side effects of his meds and creams (oral steroids and creams among others) we knew we needed something safer. We heard about Vidazorb Belly Boost from my step-dad and we were nervous that he would react to it but at that point, it was worth a try.

To our surprise - the opposite happened! He did not react, and in fact began to clear up within days! My husband and I could not believe it
After a few weeks his skin was more clear than ever in his life, and he has continued to take his Belly Boost for this last year and has not had hardly any flares anywhere. He can eat all kinds of foods now and he is such a happy and healthy boy! Our E loves his Belly Boost - often reminding me that he needs to take it! After learning about all of the other benefits our whole family takes it daily. I know the prospect of something new can feel so intimidating and scary - but I do have to say that thankfully Belly Boost has so much potential to help you. I can't tell you what the right decision is for your family - only you know that.

Please feel free to come over to my mom blog at smilinggreenmom.com where you can be a part of group of people who have allergies/Eczema and/or the desire to live a healthy green life with natural products in a natural home. I hope to see you there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.