Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will vary a LOT regionally but we had an estimate from Home Depot to replace our siding- this will include removal of the old stuff, insulation and wrapping as well as around doors, windows and facia. The facia in one area is rotted so that will be replaced prior to the siding. We have a small house (2 bedroom cape with a small addition.

The cost 16,500 dollars. I think this is CRAZY high!!!! We will get a coupleother estimates from smaller businesses as well as Lowe's. Just wondering if this sounds totally nuts or should I expect to spend this much money?

I wish DH and I were handy about house stuff so we could just do it ourselves.

· Registered
3,106 Posts
Can't help with the quote but I would be careful with using their install services. They don't employ the contractors themselves so it's just whoever they find to do your job and unfortunately I've heard of a number of people having problems (not with siding in particular, but still). Going with a local company gives you more choice in selecting the actual contractor that you are comfortable with. And with the current economy maybe the price will be better too?

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Yeah, too early in the morning to try and figure out where you live. I'm in Qc, Canada. We're buying a house and had it inspected. Inspector gave us a rough estimate of $9000 for materials (he suggested insulating our old house from the outside with rigid foam then covering with siding, so all that is included in that amount) and another $9000 for labour if we have someone else do it. Our 1.5 story house is roughly 22x24 with a 12x14 one story addition on the back. I'm sure he guessed high so that we wouldn't have any ugly surprises.

HTH.

· Registered
3,233 Posts
Honestly, Its probably about right. I had siding done on 3 sides of a cape cod about 15 years ago and it was around 8k at that time. And that did not involve any rotten wood or other repairs. Sadly, that is quite expensive. Your other option would be to repair the rotten facia and have the house painted. Definitely get other quotes on a job that size.

I have had good expereince with Home Depot installation in recent years. I think is was really problematic several years ago when they first started offering that service, but the kinks seem to have been worked out. We just had them do a door replacement and it went very well. They have standing contracts with local people who do the work, so the contactors want to keep their business with Home Depot and I think they do good work.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
We paid $12k in a High COL area for siding, roof and windows (8), but we are in a small two story townhome that only required siding on front and back. I got recs from some local groups and had three contractors come by to give quotes which were all comparable. Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.