Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm looking for information/personal experiences regarding this school especially the preschool program. Any information would be greatly appreciated specifically discipline techniques/strategies. </p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>I'm an "old" mothering MOM and I've been at the school for 18 years.  I have one in college and one who is currently in 5th grade.  Both have attended Virginia Beach Friends School all their lives.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just to be transparent about my relationship with the school, I should let you know that I was also the Admissions Director for 5 years and now I am the Director of International Programs at the school. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>One of my old mothering friends is on the board and other mothering families have attended over the years.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You are welcome to contact the school and ask to talk to other parents about the discipline policy.  I can tell you that all children at the school are engaged in age-appropriate problem-solving strategies.  The youngest students start at age 3.  Teachers will distract and separate students if necessary, but try to follow up with encouraging students to solve their problems by:</p>
<ul><li>Using their words</li>
<li>Walking away</li>
<li>Asking for help from an adult/teacher</li>
</ul><p> </p>
<p>Discipline is at least a two-step process.  First you have to stop/distract/remove bad behavior, then follow up with strategies on how to handle it the next time.  Just asking students to stop a behavior only addresses half the problem.  It is incumbent upon the adult community to work with students of all ages in solving their problems, then we have to be a model for these strategies. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps.  Feel free to drop in.  Parents are always welcome to talk to teachers directly.  Open House is coming up next week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Saturday, Jan 22, 1-3 pm  Open House </strong></p>
<p><strong>Pre-K through 12th grade.</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Jacquie Whitt</p>
<p>Director of International Programs</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts