Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, The other night I was throwing up STILL from M/S (I'm 11 weeks), then I was crying too. Right after that (the vomiting) I lost about 1/4 of the vision (like a big black spot) in my right eye that lasted an hour or so, after that I got a bad headache. I took a couple of Tylenol and went to bed. It was gone when I got up.

Have any of you heard of something like this?? I thought maybe I popped a blood vessel in my eye or something, I have no idea what could have happened. It kind of freaked me out. does this sound like a big deal??

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Sounds like a migrane to me. The vision disturbance along with a headache that covers part of your head is pretty classic migrane. (not that this necessarily describes how your head felt. It's just common.)

They can come with vomiting, so it might have been that instead of m/s. I got one with my first pregnancy, several after my cycles returned, and have had a couple little ones this pregnancy. It's totally connected with hormoes for me.

Tylenol is what I do. And rest in a cool dark room. An no red wine, but you're probably not drinking now anyway.

·
Registered
946 Posts
i get ocular migraines too... maybe once a year since i was 18 (about 10 total).
sometimes i have a black spot, sometimes a kaleidoscopic effect, it varies.
sometimes i'm nauseated from it.
sometimes i don't get the headache badly.

you may want to mention it to your midwife/ob/caregiver person. i've learned it's not uncommon for them to just happen during pregnancy and they are generally nothing serious - except for being so uncomfortable and a hazard if you're driving. (i had that once and it really sucked.)

and you may want to mention it to your doc if you ever want to go on oral contraceptives.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it seems strange that I would have the vision loss BEFORE having any sign of a headache?? Or is that normal?

I've had a problem with headaches most of my life from about age 15 to 25, (I'm 29 now) but never had any vision loss before, hmm....

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
With migraines it is normal to have vision loss etc. before the onset of the headache. Doctors often call that an aura. You might also want to get your BP checked to make sure it isn't too high, just to be on the safe side.
Gossamer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts