Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just came from our 2nd visit with the developmental optometrist and I go in to discuss his results of the evaluation next Thursday. I am worried because I already copayed $110.00 and it looks like therapy will run $2500.00 for 8 weeks of therapy. Anyone doing this? We already pay out 250.00 a month in copays. We had a turn in our finances so I am wondering if I can continue to seek treatment and pay the rent. Originally we went in for tracking problems. I don't know how 1st grade will go without getting him help so he can [email protected]!!
:

·
Registered
516 Posts
s

My son 19mths has Colobomas in both eyes (lower half has no sight) but tracks well. We really aren't sure how much he really see's but his doctor said he was impressed with him at 5mths old and at 15mths old he was amazed. He said he didn't understand how Jonathon could do it, but with what he see's when he looks into Jonathon's eyes during examinations, that he shouldn't track well, shouldn't have been able to pick objects up as early as he did and switch them hand to hand etc. By watching him play, you would never know he had vision problems and overseen by Governor Moorehead School for the Blind.....that's how bad his vision is. Anyway, I don't know how old your dc is so I don't know really what to suggest. You can ask them what kind of vision therapy are they going to do and you can do it yourself and have him checked once a month for evaluation to see how he is doing and to basically have a record/goals.

We colored paper plates with crayons, first as he was really young we just used reds and blacks. Then moved onto coloring more vibrately like butterflies, swirlies etc. We pushed pinned them to the ceiling and then hung some from the ceiling with fishing line at different lengths for depth perception. We hung steamers of different colors on the ceiling fan blades...(he loved that!) We bought the Infant-Stim mobile off the internet. We hung X-Mas lights in his room with the different colored bulbs and the flasher so they would blink. Ummm, we bought toys at Target and Walmart with lights on them that he could hold and the lights would flash and spin and change colors. We bought a pen light for him in red and white. These are really cheap items but they work great on a budget. Jonathon's teacher at the school that visits him loved his room with all the stuff we did for him. We used Presto felt and covered a four drawer dresser (just the front). Rotating between black on one drawer to red on the next and then used sticky velcro strips and put the velcro on his small toys like links, pacifier, toothbrush, nail brush etc (tactile stimutalion as well) and stuck them to the front of his dresser and taught him to sit up this way and then reach for the toy he wanted and pull it off. A seat with a tray can be covered with black presto felt and the same can be done there too. This helps with hand/eye coordination, depth perception etc. Ooohh, another thing we did that helped with tracking and Jonathon thought it was the absolute coolest and it helped stretch the muscles on the right side of his neck which were tight but now fine...was I bought a flashlight...now any flashlight will do, but you can also find one that has the colored lenses that can be changed but sit in the dark and shine the light around, making a game out of it. Moving the light from ceiling slowly vertically, then horizonally go slowing down the wall then move up or to the side etc. I would say...where's BooBoo? And look for his teddy bear and move the light around, he would follow it and we look for BooBoo or whatever other item in the room. Lastly, the lamps that shine stuff on the ceiling and walls when turn on at night. I put dark curtains up so we could play the "dark" games anytime, not just at night since he would be sleepy by the time nightfall came during the summer. If I think of anything else I will post it. Let me know how old your dc is and if older, I will think about other stuff you could do. Good Luck!!!!!!

Edited to say that I re-read your post and I am assuming he is was in grade K. I would try the flashlight with him. He is old enough to do it as well. Buying two flashlights, sit on the floor next to each other. Ask him if he wasnt to be the cop or robber (or whichever). One goes first (the robber) and the cop needs to chase the robber (follow the other flashlight on the walls). If he is the cop, then he would have his light follow yours and if he gets close then you are caught. LOL Then switch around and you be the cop and chase him. I would start slow and see how he does and as he gets better at tracking, then pick up the pace. Hope this helps....I just came off the top of my head with that one...will use it with Jonathon when he has better coordination...but my 4yr old would love it and Jonathon could watch!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds good to hear this from you. Thanks so much! We will buy some flashlights and we could use them as well. I'm hoping I can do stuff at home but the Dr doesnt tell you that too often.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If he is attending school, does he have an IEP? If he has vision loss that affects his ability to do well in school, you may be able to have him get some vision therapy there. It might be just consult time, but at least you'd get some ideas to work on at home and the teacher would know how best to help him. My dd is totally blind, so she gets lots of vision services, and I know a couple of other children with some degree of vision problems/loss that also receive services via the school system.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He does have an IEP and will start 1st grade at a new school (same district) this year. He will have a new OT so I have to see what they have to say as far as what they think he could benefit from. Vision has never been mentioned in the eval or the IEP and he has been in therapy since he was 3. So hopefully they will be able to give me some ideas. He doesn't have vision loss exactly. I'm hoping for a better explanation of exactly how he sees at the next appointment. I know that T.V and the computer can put a strain on the eyes. Somehow it would seem that some video games would encourage tracking skills to develop? I will have to research that idea as I have been trying to encourage more physical and outdoor play.
Just curious snuggly mama do you have a seeing eye dog ? I don't know how old your dd is? I give rides to a blind couple from church sometimes and their dogs are their soulmates. It is a relationship that I can not describe in words. I also have a friend who worked with dogs for the deaf. She isn't deaf but her parents, husband, and two of her dcs are. The dogs are amazing and the kids love them of course.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but we are in the process of getting a vision eval now. The optomotrist's office said that O.T. can do a good job with visual tracking problems, but that if binocularity is the problem then they may not be able to help as much. That is good because O.T. is more likely to be covered by insurance and is usually less expensive.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying that route too as suggested by snugglymama.
He starts the new school Monday and I have made phone calls but no one has gave me an answer yet. I'm hoping that with observation they will see it is a definite problem for his learning experience.

It was his previous OT who reccomended I go to the behavioral optometrist. From what I understand doing online searches is that it depends on how much money is in the district. I don't buy that because with the IEP they are suppose to provide assistance needed in his learning environment. I will have to modify the IEP with this new diagnosis.

The opt told us that our insurance would cover some of the therapy but the insurance is saying they only cover a specific convergence, and they are not sure what his diagnosis will be coded when they recieve the claim.

The dx is oculormotor deficiency as a broad term. Eye tracking is the common name and then there is perception/discrimination, figure/ground,visual closure , visual memory sequence, and visual motor integration. Basically the muscles in his eyes jerk everytime he moves them. I can't imagine how fustrating that must be and how blury things look for him. Dh is upset that it cost $118 for 20 min of therapy and I think it is ridiculous too but if it helps him It worth it.

Let us know what the opt. results are for you when you do your consult.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We did the cod for a while ( 4 months) and I have to admit we hated it so I have been dragging my feet to get another bottle. I know it is good for so many of our other issues as well. Jane you helped a bunch with my little ds and we are doing well now. I will look for the vit A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.