Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a rep from my insurance company through Medical Assistance came by to check on me & the baby, give us information, see if we had questions, and give us a little gift. I was really happy that they do this - but I was really surprised that they gave NO info about breastfeeding, or info about a lactation consultant, and included a bottle in the gift bag. Now I know that a bottle can be used for breastmilk, and my daughter actually gets a bottle herself while I'm at work - but the nipple was not the kind for breastfed babies and the assumption most people have is that it's for formula; I actually can't use it with my daughter because she won't take the fast-flow kind. Anyway, none of their literature mentioned breastfeeding, nor did the rep (they didn't mention formula either, to be fair).

Don't you think an insurance program that deals with low-income families should encourage breastfeeding along with well-child checkups and WIC and knowing what to do in an emergency? There are several reasons why they should:

1) breastmilk will keep babies and mamas healthier
2) healthier clients will keep them from expending so much on insurance claims
3) their clients may not always be educated about what the AAP & others recommend
4) breastmilk is cheaper and will save low-income families money

I am considering writing a letter and suggesting that they mention it when talking to new moms and giving them literature.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Yes. It most definantly should be included.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.