Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (DH, DD & I) will be spending a week in Cozumel later this month, and I was wondering about others' experiences travelling or living in Mexico with a baby. I'm usually a backpack-and-hostel type of traveller, but we had an unexpected windfall this year, so with the baby and all, we've decided to make things easy on ourselves and stay in a more touristy-resort type of place. I feel a bit Ugly-American about it, but the reservations are made...

I'm just wondering what to expect regarding cultural norms about parenting, NIP and modesty (at home I just unhusk the boobie wherever), health issues regarding food, etc. Rowan (my DD) still gets most all of her nutrition from BF, but we often give her a little fruit or veggies at family mealtime (she loves avocados). I'm trying to learn a little Spanish before we go, so I don't make a fool of myself too utterly.

Muchas Gracias in advance!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is this your first trip to Mexico?

I think you will find all of the locals that you meet to be very family friendly - especially if you get out of the resort which will be filled with americans and just like being here in the states.
the fruits should be okay to eat. especially if you get them yourself from the market and cut them yourself. depending on the area - the water may or may not be good. most big cities (although cozumel is a tiny island) purify their water - it gets contaminated by the local plumbing. to be absolutely safe - drink it bottled. most places will serve it chilled. avoid ice as well.

i think you will have a great time! we plan on taking the babe to mexico in the spring. we have visited many times and rent an apartment from a local lady. i have no worries about bringing a babe (although some restaurants are more baby friendly than others), nursing in public (lots of europeans sunbathe topless there - but it depends on where you are staying) - or eating the food...
keep your sense of adventure and be sure to leave the resort for some local flavor!
i am more worried about the plane ride than traveling with babe in mexico.
good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would peel any fruit. We were SO careful, stayed in resort, etc & dh still got a stomach bug. We took antibiotics w/us so he was better w/in 24 hrs.
Overall, Mexico is very family friendly. I found the resort to be the least-family friendly because so many couples leave their kids behind. Just hang out w/the locals & you'll be fine!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Most hotels are going to have purified water running through the taps
... however, when you go out to eat at non-hotel restaurants ask for no ice and bottled water. In my previous job I flew frequently to Mexico... you'd be surprised how often people got sick off the ice.

You'll have a great time... this is a great time to go.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
We're going over Thanksgiving...to Mazatlan. Luckily, ds is still pretty little and I'm going to hold off introducing any solids until after our trip...one less thing to worry about! I'm a little worried about one of *us* getting sick, but I'm glad to hear that purified water is usually run through the pipes at the resorts (which is where we're staying, gracias a los parents-in-law).

Actually more than anything I'm worried about too many restaurant meals with ds1, who is 3 and not into really interested in eating at restaurants (or anywhere for that matter!). I'm hoping we have kitchenettes wherever it is that we're staying!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I went to Cancun when my ds was 7 months old. He was pretty miserable at night b/c he never slept anyway...but the people next to us asked to move

Learn the word for diapers (panales, I think) so you can get some in case you run out.

I used the maya wrap all the time instead of a stroller b/c I was terrified of traffic and I felt more secure with him next to me.

the worst part was the flight home through texas...Bush Airport...Go figure...

There were tornadoes in Texas that day and we had to make an emergency landing in Corpus Christi but they could not let us off the plane b/c we hadn't gone through customs yet...so I was stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours with the runs and my son having the runs as well...then we start running out of diapers...then we missed our connecting flight back to PDX...I was hysterical in tears by the end of it. Didn't help I was 5 months pg!

Long story, no need for it, but don't get caught without enough diapers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.