Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My two closest friends, who both live on the opposite side of the country as me, and I are spending a long weekend in NOLA at the end of the month for my one friend's 35th birthday.  We were all there together 10 years and 8 kids ago. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>A couple of questions- Any recommendations for things to do or see?  Also, my dh is a chef and we some more expensive places to eat in mind.  I'm wondering about less expensive, but tasty places to eat.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, what should I pack to wear?  I'm seeing highs in the highs 60s and lows in the 40s on the 10 day forcast.  I'm coming from highs in the 20s and lows in the teens.  Can't seem to wrap my head around whether I would normally wear a jacket or just a sweater or what kind of footwear for that weather.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
564 Posts
<p>The weather is humid, most of the time, so it could easily be a chilly 60. I'd bring a light jacket and layers. For footwear, something comfortable, you'll probably be doing some walking. Where are you staying? What part of town? Will you have a car/transportation? I'm a big fan of the St. Charles Avenue streetcar ride - it loops from the downtown area through the Garden District, Uptown, and then back downtown. Lots of great architecture to see on the ride, along with Audubon Park.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just walking around the French Quarter is fun - lots of shops, the "moonwalk" (stroll along the Mississippi River), and sights to see.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>With no kids some live music is probably in order - there are some great local bands that play in the bars on Frenchman - on the edge the Quarter. The Kerry Irish Pub has live music nightly, is closer to the center of the French Quarter and has no cover charge. You can get local music listings at offbeat.com, wwoz.org, gambit.com.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Uptown, on Oak, and right off the streetcar line, is a good restaurant, Jacque Imo's, mid to high price range, but good food, and it's right next door the the Maple Leaf, another bar with some good music listings.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope you have a great trip! </p>

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks for the reply! We're staying right in the French Quarter and walking, no car. I will look into those sites for live music.  We definitely want to check some out. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts