Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are visiting St. Louis for a summer school for my daughter(age 6). We will be arriving via Amtrack and will be staying at <a href="http://www.havenhousestl.org/" target="_blank">http://www.havenhousestl.org/</a> (12685 Olive Blvd) I am hoping to get advice on places to go and things to do (the cheaper the better, school cost $3500!). Also, if anyone has a lot of experience with public transportation, advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Where is the summer school? How far is it from where you are staying. I think the place you are staying is about 1 1/2 miles west of 270 on Olive.<br><br>
I believe, thats a very nice area. We were up that way yesterday afternoon. Hadn't been up there in years.<br><br>
We have only been back in STL a year (originally from here). I am not up to speed on public transportation.<br><br>
Let me see if I can find anything.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
If you are taking Amtrak, are coming into the Kirkwood station?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The school is at 825 South Taylor Avenue, I believe that it is located at Washington School of Medicine.<br><br>
I'm not sure which station we will come into, I will look into it too....

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Saint Louis is not very friendly to those without cars...we do not have a good public transportation system. The metrolink is great but it is fairly limited in where it goes. The buses keep getting cut back so that is kind of a pain too. Its doable, just takes a bit of work.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It looks like HavenHouse has shuttles to area hospitals. Wash U med school is on Metrolink. It is also right next to Forest Park which has tons of free things to do. Our Art Museum and Zoo are free for basic admission (they do charge for extras like special exhibits or for the zoo train etc.)<br><br>
You can take Metrolink down town to see the Arch. The museum is free as I recall. There is a charge to ride to the top but if you are in St Louis you gotta go up the Arch. (unless you're claustrophobic or afraid of heights.) There is a new sculpture park in the City too which is really cool and very kid friendly.<br><br>
Some other things which are not free and possibly complicated to get to but recommended are the Magic House, Butterfly House, and City Museum. (It looks like the place you are staying might be near the park with the Butterfly house.)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do you bike? Almost everything worthwhile to do in St. Louis is a short bike ride from any Metro Station. For example, the Science Center is free and in Forest Park but its a major hike from Metro to get there. It would be doable, but that might be the only thing you could do for the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should visit Forest Park, which is VERY close to your daughter's school program. Forest Park is right next to Wash U School of Medicine. There is a wonderful Visitor's Center in the center of the park. If you go in, there will be someone to show you the map of Forest Park and advise you about where to go.<br>
My favorites include...<br>
1. walking around the Grand Basin<br>
2. Jewel Box (may be a few dollars to enter)<br>
3. Picnic at hte the top of Art Hill (in front of the art museum-you can drive there.)<br>
4. The zoo and art museum are FREE!!!! The STL is a nationally-recognized zoo. The Science Center is also free and one entrance is in Forest Park. (This is a museum that stretches over the highway.)<br>
The Children's Zoo section of the Zoo has a charge, but if you go before 9:30 it is free...double check ahead of time on the days, to make sure.<br><br>
STL has very poor public transportation. You may be arriving at the Amtrak station downtown. It is not in a very safe or interesting area, so plan on taking a cab to your hotel or a more well-known spot to get your bearings.<br>
You will not be able to take Metrolink or the bus to your hotel. I would find out if you can take a cab to WashU Medical Campus, then take a Havenhurst shuttle from the WU Medical Campus back to your hotel. That would save LOTS Of money.<br><br>
A WONDERFUL place to visit with kids is the Magic House. It's an incredible children's museum perfect for the very young up to adults.<br>
It's located in Kirkwood, MO, about 20 minutes from downtown, maybe 15 minutes from your hotel area. Kirkwood has a small-town feel. You can walk around and enjoy the station plaza area. If anyone in your family is into trains, there is a Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood (a 10 min drive from downtown Kirkwood.) Or you can just hang out near the Kirkwood Train Station (enjoy your coffee or lunch at one of the restaurants in Station Plaza) and watch the trains go by.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Check with Haven House. They may have free passes or discount tickets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A friend just shared this with me...great coupons!<br><br><a href="https://wwwc.druryhotels.com/content/stlvacationsavings.aspx" target="_blank">https://wwwc.druryhotels.com/content...onsavings.aspx</a>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts