Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IL's are coming in a week. In the past we have had to tell them to wash their hands after using the bathroom because they just don't.
: (they don't even have soap in their bathroom at their house and don't wash their hands even after using public toilets - ew!!) When they visited before, I would go into the bathroom each time they used it to find the sink dry as a bone and gently remind them to please wash their hands because we have a baby. Now we have 2 babies. And the spare room has moved from upstairs to the basement, where they have their own bathroom. I want to somehow remind them that it's not okay to use the potty without washing their hands, but not sure how to do that now. It really only bothers me this much because we have a nb and a toddler who don't need to get sick from their poor hygiene. I was thinking of putting a "house rules" sign in their bathroom stating that it is house rules to wash with soap and water each time you visit the bathroom and thanks for complying. Or sending them an email before they come telling them to bring warm clothes and oh...by the way, please remember to wash your hands while you are here since we have a new baby. Am I just being dumb? Would you let it go or would you enforce a handwashing rule in your home? I'm embarrased (for them) that I even feel the need to make a deal about it.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Gross! Could you even trust them though...do you think they'd just say they washed when they didn't? Seems they don't really care.
Ick!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Nasty

I would also keep some of that Purell stuff on hand, and constanly encourage them to use it, especially before they hold your kids, just to lessen the risk.

Yuck!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Tell them flat up that they are not to touch your children unless they wash their hands.

I don't care if they are relatives. That is just nasty.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I like the house rules idea, you could say it's to help remind the toddler (add pictures?) but it applies to everyone. If that doesn't get the message across, yeah you have the right to stand up about it, it's your kids you want to protect.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
ive seen cute bathroom signs, maybe make one thats like part of the decor, instead of just a list of rules.... and add more than just the handwashing to it too, lol

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I think it's your dh's place to tell them anything. It is gross but how do you take on a subject like that? Ew. I'm sorry that you are in that situation.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Ugh. My fil doesn't wash, either, and it completely icks me out. I don't have a nb, though, so it makes it harder to approach the subject (dh didn't have a relationship with fil until well after ds was born).

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
What about one of the printable posters here:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/handhy...materials.html

You can hang it up and pretend like it's for your kids, when, in reality, it's for them. I would also keep germie gel (antibacterial gel) on hand and say, here, use this before you hold the baby. Maybe even pass it around before meals to everyone, your kids included.

Ew.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Just a story this reminded me of - not trying to comment on your situation of ILs not washing after using the restroom.

I remember once when we dropped by our neighbors to see their new baby. The ILs were visiting and MIL was holding baby. Baby's mama asked if my dh wanted to hold the baby and he said 'sure!' and stood up to take her. The MIL just sat there holding the baby and silently looking at him, and finally said 'why don't you go wash your hands first?' with this kind of sneer in her voice

Okay, I COMPLETELY understand if someone is standing there in a sweaty Tshirt and dirt under his nails from working in the garden. Or if you've been sitting there blowing your nose and sneezing with the flu the whole time. But my dh is a businessman and about as clean cut looking as they come. And nor was he acting sick.

The mother was just ill with embarrassment and anger (she doesn't like her MIL at all to begin with). She said 'oh my god, I'm so sorry' to dh, went over and took the baby and handed him to dh to hold. But it was awkward, to say the least.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, it seems kind of obsessive and controlling to me for someone to come into the bathroom after I've used it to "check up on me" whether or not I've washed my hands. I don't mean to offend, but this seems a bit over the top.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessed View Post

Okay, I COMPLETELY understand if someone is standing there in a sweaty Tshirt and dirt under his nails from working in the garden. Or if you've been sitting there blowing your nose and sneezing with the flu the whole time. But my dh is a businessman and about as clean cut looking as they come. And nor was he acting sick.

Um...so being a businessman is a GUARANTEE that he is not carrying germs which could be dangerous or fatal to a new baby?

Interesting. How....classist.

I didn't realize germs were repelled by suits.

Oh, and I wouldn't give a newborn to a person who was coughing and sneezing everywhere, period.

In my house, EVERYONE washes hands before touching a newborn, whether they're white collar or blue collar
:

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Just get some Purell. Carry it with you and make EVERYONE use it before handling the baby. You can say something like, "Dc's pediatrician recommended we do this, especially during cold and flu season." Don't single them out, just act like this is how you always do it.

I'm not really into the antibacterial stuff, but if they don't normally wash hands, then their idea of "handwashing" may not be effective anyway.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
Um...so being a businessman is a GUARANTEE that he is not carrying germs which could be dangerous or fatal to a new baby?

Interesting. How....classist.

I didn't realize germs were repelled by suits.

Oh, and I wouldn't give a newborn to a person who was coughing and sneezing everywhere, period.

In my house, EVERYONE washes hands before touching a newborn, whether they're white collar or blue collar
:
Oh dear. I was just trying to convey that he doesn't work with materials, or in a hospital, or a chemical plant, or anywhere else that he might be returning from work with residuals of dirt, grease, blood, sewage, chemicals, or other toxic agents on his hands.

I'm a physician and I wash my hands before I touch my child when I come home at night. There wasn't anything class specific about my comment

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd plant bottles of hand sanitizer in every room in the house and make *everyone* use it before touching the baby. That's what I made people do before they held my baby when he was a nb, no exceptions. If you're casual and nice about it, people won't act offended even if they are annoyed.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I always wash my hands before I touch a newborn period. It is just necessary IMO to protect the baby from germs when they have little defense to them. When we had a newborn, everyone washed their hands before holding the baby. You could always spin it as a medical issue to protect the baby.

Doreen

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
Just get some Purell. Carry it with you and make EVERYONE use it before handling the baby. You can say something like, "Dc's pediatrician recommended we do this, especially during cold and flu season." Don't single them out, just act like this is how you always do it.

I'm not really into the antibacterial stuff, but if they don't normally wash hands, then their idea of "handwashing" may not be effective anyway.
:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Wow I can't believe that on a NATURAL family living board people would be so freaked out about everyday germs and advocating the use of nasty chemicals around newborns!!!! It's like I stumbled onto some weirdo germophobic mainstream site.

I usually wash my hands after using the loo, but I'm not obsessive about it - if I'm in a hurry and DD needs me, sometimes I don't.
: I NEVER worried about peoples' germy hands and my newborn, and we actually encouraged the dog to lick her when she first came home so the dog would be more accepting of her. She is the healthiest baby I know - she's almost a year and has had one mild cold.

I firmly believe that being over-clean is what brings on the bad bugs, and lowers your (and your babies') resistance to germs of all sorts. It's not like we live in some typhoid-infested cesspool, folks. Get a grip. And for pete's sake, OP, don't be rude to your houseguests.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I think even the most natural among us are allowed to be grossed out by people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom and then touching our babies.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts