Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started using a picture schedule for my dd. She's taken right to it and it really seems to help her get through her day. Weve also tried using 'choice boards' in the past with varied results. The movie choice boards are a lifesaver, as well as the drinks one. It makes it easier to show what's not available on the menu - {we use the symbol of a red circle with a line thru it and stick it over the juice for example, when we're out of juice}. But with the play activities one, I made it for both of my kids, and my youngest doesn't understand the icons. So I gotta take out the camera again.

Im really interested to hear/ read of others' ideas and experiences with visual aids. What seemed to work, and what seemed to be confusing? For us, line drawings are still too confusing. {Thanks to thoesly for your detailed description of using schedules with your little ones, it sparked this thread.}

Id also like to recommend a book I used to help make the schedule, Visual Strategies For Improving Communication by Linda Hodgdon.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I use a combination of icons and photos with my student. We started with photos only, moved to very clear icons, and then to more abstract ones to represent more abstract concepts as he had the need for those more. Some of the icons are very unclear, even to adults, and often you need to pick one that's originally labeled something else, like in Boardmaker, and relabel it for your needs. You can also make your own drawings so that you can make it very clear or make xeroxes or paste a few drawings together to make a new one.

Here's a great example: At school, my student has recess, which includes snacktime and playtime on the school playground. In our version of Boardmaker, there is no icon that represents these things, nor is there a photo we could take that would be both. Plus I want him to have the pecs that will represent recess whereever it takes place. So we printed out one of a lunchbag and one of some playground equipment without labels and put them together as one pec with the word "RECESS" on the top. This way, he knows what it is from the two activities and knows that he'll need his snack bag and will be going to the playground.

BTW - my student is 6.5 years old. We used photos only until he was about 5, then started to use icons, and now even have sight words to replace some of those. When teaching the new form, make sure to pair them together and teach that the new one is the same as the old.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty waltz
{Thanks to thoesly for your detailed description of using schedules with your little ones, it sparked this thread.}[/U] by Linda Hodgdon.
You're very welcome! I don't think I have any new suggestions to add (we always used the camera/drawing combo here), but I just remembered another tool we found helpful that's kind of in this same category: social stories. They were first published by Carol Gray, and you can get some good information from her website: http://www.thegraycenter.org/Social_Stories.htm Basically, they take the picture schedule and put it with simple words to form a story -- going to bed, using the bathroom, whatever. We made our own social stories for my son, and they really did help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts