Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh the pressure when they get into solids! Dd's only 8 mos old and is starting to eat full servings, skip a nursing here and there (nurses all night though
: ) and the diaper changes have become a differesnt kind of experience. I didn't know how good I had it when sure that all her nutrition was perfect and my body made it so easily. Now I want to feed her right and I'm thinking a banana for lunch and an avacado for dinner ain't cuttin it anymore. She's getting more nutrition from solids. I've introduced a huge variety of foods by now and she loves almost all of it. (she's so cute with toast!) But her meals aren't "balanced" or "square" or whatever you'd call it.

She's not a fan of juice, which is probably good, but I want to help her iron absorption (we don't eat meat) with vitamin C. What are some good baby sources?

And when can I do egg yolk? And yogurt? ...fish? The protein we've done is gassy stuff like beans, lentils and tofu.

I had allergies growing up and I'm pretty sure its from early weaning and solids (and genes of course). I avoided some things for years and can eat them again... I can eat almond paste now!
Yeah!
Should I have her avoid nuts, nut butters, nut milk for a long time? I hope she can have these; sure would make being a vegetarian easier. I also am careful about too much soy for the same reason.

I'm checking books (getting Super Baby Food for Christmas), doctor advice and all that, but ya'll are a great source too!
(Sometimes better)

Julie

· Registered
2,882 Posts
ummm mama, your babes only 8 months old and has already had tofu, lentils, beans, toast...I am not trying to be rude but I have to say maybe you just need to slow down a little bit and follow her cues.....does she have any teeth yet? its been awhile...I dont remember when mine first got hers but 8 months is so young...nothing sounds wrong to me about eating just a banana, avo and breast milk at her age...nuts usually wait until a year old plus and I wouldnt give fish until over a year...my dd just had it for the first time a month a go and she will be 3 in April...best wishes...I know its confusing....I started my dd on solids to early and hope I can do better with my next one! oh and the vitamin c question...try her on diluted tomato or orange juice or just give her tomatoes to eat....also if you take a c supplement she will get some in your breast milk....blessings

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No that wasn't rude at all! Thanks for the reply.

She JUST dramatically increased the amount she's eating. It was then that I started wondering about the meals. Before if she had, oh say, a couple tablespoons of fruit or veggies a couple times a day, it was no big deal. But I am following her cues and she is asking for more... She prefers nursing when sleepy, but otherwise if she's hungry, she looks for "solids" these days. And I just don't like the idea of eating Cheerios every other day. The toast she just basically slimes, but it keeps her from grabbing at our sandwiches!
She's surprised me actually -- she never took a bottle, but when introduced to food, she was off and running!

No teeth have broken through, but all babes have teeth. I know, she used to bite while nursing (glad we took care of that BEFORE teething!)

She pretty much hates juice and gags on suppliments, so I don't push these things. Plus I've been avoiding acidic things, but maybe by 8 months acidity isn't such an issue?

Julie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.