Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my blood test came back with a vit d level at 5.8. my doc is freaking and wants my to see a hemotologist, and start with 10,000 iu of vit d. quick research told me that is a toxic amount. i went to the co-op and picked up a d3, but now that i have it, i find that it is derived from wool oil. i really don't want to have to go back and exchange it for fish unless the difference is critical. anyone know about this?

my b12 is low also, but only184. everything else, she says, checked out, but i don't know what else that is.

anyone have a reading this low? did it turn out to be caused by an underlying condition? and did it resolve?

i went in for chronic fatigue symptoms, btw.

· Registered
8,340 Posts
Holy frijoles, that's crazy low. Sorry, I don't know about wool oil - never heard of it. I do think that if it were me, I'd get my hands on some D3 from fish though. You'll want the right balance of vits A & K as well, since they work synergistically.

· Registered
997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugosmoma View Post
so my blood test came back with a vit d level at 5.8. my doc is freaking and wants my to see a hemotologist, and start with 10,000 iu of vit d. quick research told me that is a toxic amount. i went to the co-op and picked up a d3, but now that i have it, i find that it is derived from wool oil. i really don't want to have to go back and exchange it for fish unless the difference is critical. anyone know about this?

my b12 is low also, but only184. everything else, she says, checked out, but i don't know what else that is.

anyone have a reading this low? did it turn out to be caused by an underlying condition? and did it resolve?

i went in for chronic fatigue symptoms, btw.

The research/opinions have changed a great deal about what is a "toxic amount". For someone with a number as low as yours, you really won't need to be worrying about toxicity for a very long time.

Just make sure you are getting D3 (cholecalciferol) and not D2. Plus the advice from Metasequoia about balancing with Vit A and K.

You might want to read some more info here about D: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitam...macology.shtml

Good luck to you!

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you! yep, i have the d3. i am so thankful for the internet sometimes. if i couldn't have done a quick check on that, i would have not know what to get, and would have accepted my doc's prescription.

now i am trying to get info on why the heck my level would get so low. that seems to be harder to find. yeah, it is freaky low. it freaks me out a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.