Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on declining the vitamin K injection for my second babe due mid December. I do think, however, that vitamin k supplementation starting now would be a good idea. Since I am a fan of and have great respect for Dr. Mercola, I'm going to get the vit. K he recommends. I do eat a lot of greens (never enough in my mind, however) and take a "green" supplement full of alfalfa, veggies & herbs in a capsule form.<br><br>
Does/has anyone else used vit k supplements? Which one? Which dose? Any challenges?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I just got my blood work back and the midwife said my platelets, hematocrit and hemoglobin were all extremely good. She said they are good for a non-pregnant meat eater and exceptional for a pregnant vegtearian (which I am). The only thing I've been doing is drinking pregnancy tea a few times a day, which is nettles and raspberry leaf. She said nettles are very high in vit. K and iron, so if you like the taste of iced herbal tea, I'd recommend that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
At the local health food store I noticed one pre-natal that had a large dose of vitamin K. I can't remember which is was because I'm due today and had wanted to get more K in and it wasn't there anymore. If you look you might spot it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bumping this one up since I'm having the dilemma of whether to accept or decline the vitamin k injection.<br><br>
I had heard that vitamin k supplementation during pregnancy doesn't work to give your newborn "enough" vitamin K, but that supplementation AFTERWARDS may work to give your baby enough vitamin K via breastmilk.<br><br>
I was going to call my pediatrician about this, but in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts