Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, I call on you for help. Ladies, how do you give your children vitamin C? I think I have been causing my daughters teeth problems by putting a spoonful in her water bottle daily. We use Nutribiotic sodium ascorbate. I cannot think of another way to give it to her, she can’t swallow pills yet. I would hate to stop giving it to her, but my usual way certainly isn’t working anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Maybe you could try applesauce or a smoothie - something citrus based like orange/pineapple (depending on how old your dd is) to mix it into? We’ve only had the Source Naturals brand, and it was a tough sell at our house! Hylands makes it in tablet form for baby that dissolves under the tongue if you don’t mind a few extra ingredients. We’ve tried them before and my kiddos loved them. I think they were lemon flavored. I only give it when they need extra support, otherwise I just give them raw fruits/veggies high in vitamin c.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi, I give powdered Vitamin C 2x/day to my 13-year-old; 500 mg in AM and 500 mg in PM. I give more when he's under the weather. I mix the powder in a little apple or grape juice; it is tasteless and he is happy to drink it bc he doesn't usually drink juice. I mix the Vit. C in about 2-3 tablespoons of juice. I use NOW brand sodium ascorbate powder. No dental problems. (I give a high-ish daily dose due to chronic allergy issues, which have dramatically improved since starting the daily Vit. C.)

If the C is contributing to your daughter's tooth issues, perhaps it is bc she is sipping the Vit C. infused water all day long? Maybe giving it to her in one or two daily doses would alleviate the issue?

Hope you figure out a good solution!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
causing my daughters teeth problems
As in acid erosion of the enamel? Try something to raise the pH once the drink is down. Plain water works to a certain extent but there are purpose-made rinses. If your dd is too young to swish and spit, you can soak a gauze and wipe her teeth with it. To save money, just mix baking soda and water and wipe her teeth.

If you do dairy, a few bites of hard cheese will do the trick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there a thread on this forum that explains treatment vs disease?

For example, if a child does get Measles, what is the best approach. Vitamin A, C and?

Might be sticky worthy for those that are new but regard as a matter of opinion not medically correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there a thread on this forum that explains treatment vs disease?

For example, if a child does get Measles, what is the best approach. Vitamin A, C and?

Might be sticky worthy for those that are new but regard as a matter of opinion not medically correct.
For measles, an adult needs 200,000 IU of Vitamin A on two consecutive days and then half of that on the third day.
Vitamin C up until diarrhea.
Vitamin D to help prevent/clear up respiratory infection and for aid in Vitamin A absorption.
Zinc too should be supplemented though I don't know dosages.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for replying. I've started giving a spoonful in a small glass of water. That way she takes it all at once instead of sipping on it.

I used Hylands on her as a baby, but stopped when they confirmed that they make it from corn, meaning its probably full of GMOs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once again, I call on you for help. Ladies, how do you give your children vitamin C? I think I have been causing my daughters teeth problems by putting a spoonful in her water bottle daily. We use Nutribiotic sodium ascorbate. I cannot think of another way to give it to her, she can’t swallow pills yet. I would hate to stop giving it to her, but my usual way certainly isn’t working anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!!
Orange juice would be okay too, but hopefully a brand of OJ without added sugar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dr Schulze is a decent brand of supplements. They do a great line of cold and flu "shots" that are like drinking liquid garbage but they work!

·
Registered
24,487 Posts
In March, when the lockdowns and quarantines began, I noticed that vitamin C was backordered by most companies that I deal with. So TP was not the only item that people were hoarding.

Always keep vitamins C and A on hand for your infectious illnesses.

I've always thought of vitamin C being a must but recent Studies have shown that it actually can be a bit dangerous specially when consumed in big quantities
Some people have an inherited problem with too much vitamin C that can result in kidney stones, but taking vitamin C in moderate amounts should help anyone stay healthy.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
17 Posts
In March, when the lockdowns and quarantines began, I noticed that vitamin C was backordered by most companies that I deal with. So TP was not the only item that people were hoarding.

Always keep vitamins C and A on hand for your infectious illnesses.

Some people have an inherited problem with too much vitamin C that can result in kidney stones, but taking vitamin C in moderate amounts should help anyone stay healthy.
I was unpleasantly surprised with this. This "every man for himself" mentality is really sad.
I had some troubles finding supplements - including vitamins - for my family. Shelves were empty.
Each time I think that there are people who really need supplies that are being hoarded right now, and can't get them.

COVID-19 patient treated with megadose of Vitamin C
Isn't it a clickbait? As far as I know:
Although doctors are using IV vitamin C, there is no published scientific evidence about the use of IV vitamin C in COVID-19.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Although doctors are using IV vitamin C, there is no published scientific evidence about the use of IV vitamin C in COVID-19.
Hmm, who do you think is going to fund the research? :unsure:

The pharmaceutical companies would much rather you have to pay for their expensive drugs than use simple remedies such as Vitamin C or other low cost remedies that have been found to be effective, but suppressed either because a certain person mentioned the remedy or it is low cost, e.g. generic. Drug companies can't make a fortune on the remedies that have been around for decades.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts