Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I read in a magazine that breast-fed babies are at risk for Vitamin D deficiency in the winter. The article recommended giving a supplement, and I've never heard of this until I read the article. That leads me to believe it isn't true, but is there any truth to this? I'm in the Chicago area, so it's a little dreary around here right now...
Thanks
Jill

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
You might consider getting a SAD (seasonal affective disorder) lamp to use durin the winter. I have a nifty one I got from Costco for like $100 which seems like a lot, until you realize I was horrifically depressed last year until I got it. 10 minutes a day with that thing makes a HUGE difference for me. Since sunlight helps you produce vit. D, and baby is getting his vitamins from you, would that work? Plus perk you up a little through sooooooooooooooooo cold Chicago winters?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
When dd was an infant we were in Atlanta. Our ped said she only would worry if you are in an extreme climate that prevents baby from getting out daily.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I think they only need 15 minutes of sunlight a WEEK to get adequate vit. D from the sun. If I lived in Northern Alaska where the sun doesn't come up for 6 months out of the year, then I'd supplement. Until then, we don't see a reason to.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've never heard that this was a problem. It takes very little sun time to get the adequate amount of Vitamin D.....

BTW-- I have 2 devon rex kitties!!! And you live near me! I've not met another person with devons here ever!!! Cool!

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
We are in Canada, we don't live in an extreme climate but are farther north then MOST of the US.... not all tho.. in fact we are pretty close and lower than some of the US.

but we are advised to give Vitamin D from about Oct-May as we don't get a lot of Vitamin D thrugh the Sun here.... So we go out and use sun exposure on the days we do get it and vitamin D on the days we don't

There have been large cases of rickets where we are and have been onthe decline since this reccomendation has come into play....

·
Registered
322 Posts
You won't here much at Mothering about a Vitamin D deficiency, because there's no such thing in a breastfed baby. The problem is a lack of sufficient sunlight aka a Sunlight Deficiency.

The AAP decided to make Vitamin D supplementation a rule when they decided that all children need to use sunscreen.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...eficiency.html

Quote:
The natural sources of vitamin D for nurslings are primarily the stores they developed prenatally (for newborns) and the vitamin D they produce with exposure of their skin to sunlight...

Exclusively breastfed Caucasian infants under six months of age (39° N; Cincinnati, Ohio, US) are expected to achieve adequate vitamin D status when exposed to sunlight for 30 minutes per week (diaper only) or two hours per WEEK (fully clothed without a hat).

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
From the archives.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=Trivisol

Basically, for non-high risk kids (i.e. kids who are dark skinned living in far northern climates or have other health issues), Vitamin D from sunlight is sufficient. The CDC report mentioned in the above archives (I know I posted the report from the working group) says that direct sunlight for 15 min 2 x daily (8am and 4pm would be great) is completely sufficient. Btw, light through a window is NOT sufficient. So just take your kids for a walk every day without sunscreen (hence the timing) and they should get all the vitamin D they need.

BTW, the vitamin drops they sell have other vitamins - mainly vitamin A and C, I think. While it is very important that kids have good vitamin A stores, very very few kids in the US will have vitamin A deficiencies and getting those stores from bioavailable sources (carrots, mangos, and orange sweet potatoes are great) is much better than a supplement.

I did give my baby a few drops of trivosol when he hit about 6 months old and it was Feb/March and we weren't going outside at all. He wasn't eating much in terms of solids and I was afraid that I was deficient in vitamin D. But as soon as the weather improved, I stopped the vitamins.

My 2 cents.

Siobhan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts