Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When would a bf baby need Vitamin D? My doctor hasn't brought it up, but I'm worried b/c we are never outside or near windows. It's freezing here (until today!, but it's supposed to get cold again) and our windows are drafty so I don't want her sitting in front of them.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
IMO a breastfed baby only needs vit D supplimentation when baby does not get enough vit D from mom. So if mom is not vit D deficient/low, then baby <i>should</i> be getting enough. Sadly up here in Canada (I bet it's the same with you in Iowa) most of the population is vit D deficient. Vit D does transfer through breastmilk if you would rather supplement yourself than exclusively breastfed baby. (There is a thread around here somewhere with references.) It takes more than the 400 IU recommended daily dose for mom to increase vit D in baby though.<br><br>
ps forgot to add that up north it doesn't matter how much sun you get in the winter, it isn't strong enough to make vit D. That's why traditional northern diets were high in vit D -naturally-occuring foods.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
If you take a 2000 IU supplement every day you do not need to give the baby a supplement. You can find the info on Kellymom. Also UV does not go through glass so you can not get vit D through a window unless its open. If you do not get outside or take enough Vit D yourself a 400IU supplement is recommended for nursing babies.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We live in New England and even though we go outside every day, my DS (4 months) rarely "sees" the sun. We decided to use BabyD Drops. They don't contain any of the extra junk that PolyViSol or similar drops contain. You can get them online or at a store like the Vitamin Shoppe.<br><br>
Here's a link to one store (can be found for a better price)<br><br><a href="http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=14069" target="_blank">http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=14069</a><br><br>
My pedi recommended we start giving Vit D at 2 months.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
My doc just informed me I am pretty deficient in Vit D. So I guess Lil' Man needs a supplement?? He wouldn't be getting enough from me, then! We don't get much sun, either. I will be starting a heavy-duty supplement, will that be enough for him, do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts