Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because we've started talking about them in the 30's TTC thread I thought I'd ask everyone to share what vitamins and supplements they are taking - cause hey, you never know, they could be beneficial to all of us...

Let me preface that before you see my insanity, I do have blood clotting issues that I have pre-researched and certain vitamins due to my conditions are almost a necessity.

I take all mine before I go to bed:

- 2 Pre-natals from GNC Mega Mom - that's just the daily dose
- 2 extra mg of Folic Acid
- 3, 500mg Evening Primrose Oil till O
- 1 Garlic tablet
- 1, 500 mg Calcium with Vitamin D
- 1, 1000 mcg of B12
- 1, 100 mg of B6
- 1 Baby Aspirin (81mg)

I used to take 2, Omega 369 tablets till I read that Borage Oil isn't the greatest for pregnancy and stopped that.

I have also started to drink decaf green tea like water till O.

What about everyone else? What are you taking?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I am just taking the prenatal vitamins right now. Today in several threads is the first I heard about green tea. I do drink green tea now just because I like it but I didn't know it would help with CM.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
all at night:

1500mg vitex
1 b50 complex
1 b6 (100mg)
1 baby aspirin
was taking 2500mg epo from af to O
1 prenatal(will be upping to 2 soon)

and from af to O, and sometimes a bit after, i drink from 1-4 cups green tea a day.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I take a regular 1-a-day multi and a folic acid suppliment in the morning, drink green tea and grapefruit juice in the afternoons (mostly around O-time, week before and after) and take EPO at night with my allergy stuff. As I get closer to O-time I take a second EPO in the morning too.

Next month I plan to add in flax oil caplets morning and night, and some Mother-to-be tea I found with Vitex in it twice a day.

·
Registered
933 Posts
1 Prenatal (Rainbow Light)
2 Flax Oil (2000mg)
4 Vitex (1600mg) only because I started it late in my cycle. Normally I would take 1200mg.

I'm going to start taking baby aspirin too, just because it looks like it can only help.

I drink Green Tea every day just because it's healthy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Every evening,
1 prenatel
1 Folic Acid extra (contains 60mg Vitamin C, 25mg B2, 25mg B6, 800 mcg Folic Acid, 250mcg B12, 50mg Calcium)
And I drink a glass of 100 % pomegranite juice concentrate every day. It's said to have three times the antioxidants of green tea, but is safe and in some cases recommended to drink throughout pregnancy. Studies suggest that drinking pomegranate juice during pregnancy may reduce hypoxia ischemia-related brain injuries in babies. (Though green tea tastes better and the pomegranite juice does nothing for CM
)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I thought it was a bad thing to take too much folic acid? Is it smart to take several of them at once along with prenatals? If you're taking extra folic acid, are you not getting any in your diet?
I'm taking a multi (Quest) and will be starting green tea thanks to you fine ladies.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I take

morning: 800mg vitex
1 B complex
1 flax seed cap 1000mg

night: 800mg vitex
1 prenatal
1 b complex
1 flax seed cap 1000mg

I also drink green tea but I have ordered a fertility tea.

I have DH on fertility blend 4 cap. a day.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
At this moment-

Vitamin B complex (once a day-usually before I go to bed)
Cinnamon Tablet (twice with meals)
6 herbal tablets - I take 3 tablets after meal in the morning and 3 tablets at night(my accupuncturist gave me- it has few different types of herbs except for dong qui I've no idea what are the rests)

That's all for now. I drank green tea once, that thing didn't do a dang thing for me unfortunately. So, I stopped.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sanguine_speed - in terms of extra folic acid, some women have to take a higher dose b/c of a family history of spina-bifida or other neurological issues. I take extra b/c I have a clotting gene that predispositions me to miscarriages and extra folic acid, along with the B vitamins, is supposed to help level the playing field. Your body flushes out any extra b/c it's water soluble.

·
Registered
212 Posts
On the subject of folic acid, I take 5-methyl-tetrahydrofolate, which is the active form of folic acid, and the ONLY form of folic acid that can be utilized properly for those with MTHFR gene mutations. Many doctors don't understand this and just make women take mega doses of folic acid/folate (if they have MTHFR or a family history of neural tube defects) which cannot be utilized in this form.

I also take prenatals, a cup of green tea, calcium/magnesium (to try for a girl), vitex, epo (near o), cod liver oil, probiotics, and a dash of extra B12. This will be our first month TTCing since the birth of DS 22 months ago. Wish us luck!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
minkl: is the methyl-tetrahydrofolate available without a prescription or do you have to have one? Thanks for bringing this up! I'll definitely ask my hemotologist about it when I see him next.

Do you carry MTHFR? I am hetereo for it which is why the docs don't think it's as much as of a concern as is my Factor V.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The L-5-MTHF is available without prescription, the one I use is "FOLAPRO" by Metagenics. You can get it online in a bunch of places. I just use 1/4 of the tablet a day to supplement the bad gene, where the folic acid in the prenatal covers the good gene. I am heterzygous for two MTHFR mutations as well as a clotting factor (not van leiden, but a prothrombin mutation which is less serious.) You can do some research online if your Dr is not knowledgeable about the different forms of folic acid as they relate to MTHFR. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Right now...

Prenatals (Vitality Pack Prenatal)
I drink one cup of vitex and RRL tea each a day. Thinking of uping it to 2.

TTC #2 and nursing...

·
Registered
27 Posts
i take a women's multi from Trader Joe's and that's it! i am reading through all your posts and am thinking "Is there something i am missing?" i'd love it if a few people could explain why they're taking what they're taking....

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainastar View Post
i take a women's multi from Trader Joe's and that's it! i am reading through all your posts and am thinking "Is there something i am missing?" i'd love it if a few people could explain why they're taking what they're taking....
My one is easy-

Vitamin B complex- I started with B6 and folic acid only but then I heard all Bs should be taken together so I went B complex, which has all B. Now, why I take it is becuase I've incredibly short LP, and apprantly B helps with that. Now, whether it really does help or not it doesn't hurt to take Vitamin B.

Cinnamon tablet- I was told by the Dr to take metformin, for little sugar level high problem. I heard about Cinnamon tablet here at mdc, which apprantly does the same thing help keep sugar level down. So, I started to take it as natural alternative to metformin. And it's already helping I can feel it!

Herbs- I've cycle problem due to cysts and small fibroid (recently found out) so my accupuncturist gave me those. Tomorrow she will give me more!! When she gave me the ones I'm currently taking she didn't know about cysts and fibroids, but at that time she told me she would give me something else next time!

So, those are my reasons why I take what I take!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts