Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
On the subject of folic acid, I take 5-methyl-tetrahydrofolate, which is the active form of folic acid, and the ONLY form of folic acid that can be utilized properly for those with MTHFR gene mutations. Many doctors don't understand this and just make women take mega doses of folic acid/folate (if they have MTHFR or a family history of neural tube defects) which cannot be utilized in this form.

I also take prenatals, a cup of green tea, calcium/magnesium (to try for a girl), vitex, epo (near o), cod liver oil, probiotics, and a dash of extra B12. This will be our first month TTCing since the birth of DS 22 months ago. Wish us luck!!!

· Registered
211 Posts
The L-5-MTHF is available without prescription, the one I use is "FOLAPRO" by Metagenics. You can get it online in a bunch of places. I just use 1/4 of the tablet a day to supplement the bad gene, where the folic acid in the prenatal covers the good gene. I am heterzygous for two MTHFR mutations as well as a clotting factor (not van leiden, but a prothrombin mutation which is less serious.) You can do some research online if your Dr is not knowledgeable about the different forms of folic acid as they relate to MTHFR. Good luck!

· Registered
211 Posts
I think Vitamin A should not be a problem. Birth defects were noted when Vitamin A (NOT in beta carotene form, because it can be taken in different forms) was taken in large doses. Since this finding, almost all prenatals and multivitamins use beta carotene as the vitamin A source, which is broken down if taken in excess...so it shouldn't be an issue anymore as long as you see "vitamin A- as beta carotene.)

I also have had DH taking supplements for 3 months (because that's how long it takes to make and protect sperm from damage.) I had him on a fertility blend kind of thing, but then looked at the vitamin breakdown and realized i could get him on a good men's multi-vitamin ("doctor's choice' is a great brand) and get everything all at once. It has lots of the fertility stuff (green tea, grape seed extract, saw palmetto, ginseng, etc) along with good doses of the antioxidants and other stuff needed to make quality sperm (the zinc, selenium, bvitamins, etc. )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.