Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because we've started talking about them in the 30's TTC thread I thought I'd ask everyone to share what vitamins and supplements they are taking - cause hey, you never know, they could be beneficial to all of us...

Let me preface that before you see my insanity, I do have blood clotting issues that I have pre-researched and certain vitamins due to my conditions are almost a necessity.

I take all mine before I go to bed:

- 2 Pre-natals from GNC Mega Mom - that's just the daily dose
- 2 extra mg of Folic Acid
- 3, 500mg Evening Primrose Oil till O
- 1 Garlic tablet
- 1, 500 mg Calcium with Vitamin D
- 1, 1000 mcg of B12
- 1, 100 mg of B6
- 1 Baby Aspirin (81mg)

I used to take 2, Omega 369 tablets till I read that Borage Oil isn't the greatest for pregnancy and stopped that.

I have also started to drink decaf green tea like water till O.

What about everyone else? What are you taking?

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sanguine_speed - in terms of extra folic acid, some women have to take a higher dose b/c of a family history of spina-bifida or other neurological issues. I take extra b/c I have a clotting gene that predispositions me to miscarriages and extra folic acid, along with the B vitamins, is supposed to help level the playing field. Your body flushes out any extra b/c it's water soluble.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
minkl: is the methyl-tetrahydrofolate available without a prescription or do you have to have one? Thanks for bringing this up! I'll definitely ask my hemotologist about it when I see him next.

Do you carry MTHFR? I am hetereo for it which is why the docs don't think it's as much as of a concern as is my Factor V.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
rainastar: I've got several...

1) Hetero Factor V Leiden: http://www.fvleiden.org/

2) Hetero MTHFR: http://www.fvleiden.org/ask/51.html

and I have a slight elevation in my anticardiolipin antibodies:

http://www.sharedjourney.com/define/aca.html

I am a walking poster child for Heparin/Lovenox and baby aspirin.
:
: and yet my doctors are *still* debating on whether or not I will need the injections. I am like "Are you crazy? I have a history of DVT. Give me my prescription!"

cking: Pre-natals are what I like to call "watered down" multi-vitamins. In that they take away the excess Vitamin A that regular MV's have and put in some more baby friendly supplements. Though I was surprised at how little some of them had in regards to the B vitamins.

I just switched from GNC's Mega Mom ones to the generic Costco ones b/c of the cost. They're much cheaper and contain almost identical ingredients as say Materna.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
For those of you taking fish oil (essentially Omega 3's) what brand do you take?
I am asking b/c everytime I read the labels on the bottle they never ever tell you if they're mercury/lead free.

frog: your chart looks great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.