Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
7,090 Posts
fish oil -- because it's good for brain development and also healthy for women -- definitely good for the cardiovascular system, and arguably (no good evidence) good for anxiety
b complex -- b is good for stress, of which i have a lot, and b6 deficiency can be a cause of short luteal phase (i don't think that's my problem...)
vitex -- to treat a short lp

· Registered
27 Posts
i definitely knew about Fish Oil/B-Complex, but was really curious about Cinnamon-- thank you!
i have a blood clotting Audio Immune Disorder and fish oil was incredibly helpful during my last pregnancy.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I take
a prenatal with 20mg B6 plus extra B12, C, iron & zinc.
1000mg calcium + 400IU vit D
100mg iron + 334mg calcium
2000mg flaxseed oil

Does anyone take both flax and fish oil? I just switched from fish oil to flaxseed oil because I read that it promotes normal ovulation and helps extend the luteal phase. I'd like the benefits of both more interested in getting regular cycles after the pill. I don't know anything about clotting disorders but I'm worried about thinning the blood too much by taking both.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Good topic!

Ok, here's a question -

What exactly is a prenatal?

Aside from folic acid, what do we need in prenatal vitamins? Every brand I look at has something different, and most have a lot less of those things than many multi-vitamins. So what do we really need? Is it iron?

And why are some of them so expensive?

I'm trying to take the vitamins recommended by Marilyn Shannon for general fertilty/health. She also recommend optivite for PMS as well as menstrual irregularities, etc. but I thought it was pretty high in vitamin A, so I just tried to match the other recommendations. But, I haven't found a prenatal that has all of these things, and it looks like many of you are also adding other vitamins on top of a prenatal also.

I'm taking:
A multi, which covers the B's, plus
extra B-6
calcium
magnesium
Vit E

Also-
flax oil
cod liver oil
EPO (before O)
vitex (only 40mg)

Sounds like a lot, and believe me, I've been waivering over whether I should be taking all of these things or not. Has anyone heard that excess Vitamin A may delay ovulation? I saw one review on Amazon for that book where they mentioned this, and that's all it got to get my wondering. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't take CLO as well as the multi, since it could be too much Vit A....

· Registered
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainastar View Post
i'd love it if a few people could explain why they're taking what they're taking....
I take Flax oil because I'm vegetarian and think I probably just need the good essential fatty acids.

I take Vitex because my first few cycles charting indicated a short LP. Last cycle I extended my LP by 3 days by taking 1600mg of Vitex a day. Plus it also seems to make me ovulate a little earlier, which is good.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
rainastar: I've got several...

1) Hetero Factor V Leiden: http://www.fvleiden.org/

2) Hetero MTHFR: http://www.fvleiden.org/ask/51.html

and I have a slight elevation in my anticardiolipin antibodies:

http://www.sharedjourney.com/define/aca.html

I am a walking poster child for Heparin/Lovenox and baby aspirin.
:
: and yet my doctors are *still* debating on whether or not I will need the injections. I am like "Are you crazy? I have a history of DVT. Give me my prescription!"

cking: Pre-natals are what I like to call "watered down" multi-vitamins. In that they take away the excess Vitamin A that regular MV's have and put in some more baby friendly supplements. Though I was surprised at how little some of them had in regards to the B vitamins.

I just switched from GNC's Mega Mom ones to the generic Costco ones b/c of the cost. They're much cheaper and contain almost identical ingredients as say Materna.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Ah, good, I'm check the March of Dimes site now. I was starting to suspect that the difference might be the lower vitamin A, in that it's hard to find a multi that isn't high in A.

I am starting to think I want to use single-vitamins for everything, but then I'll be taking like 10 pills/ day. Don't you just wish you could go into a bulk-food /nut store, and say "give me 100 mg of this, 200mg of that....and put it all in a veggie capsule that I can take only once/day. Better yet, give me a powder that I can sprinkle on my yogurt and not even know I'm taking it...."

<sigh>

· Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Ok, I presently take

4 New Chapter Pre-Natal
1 Ferrous Sulfate

and recently got a bottle of fish oil that I am going to start.
I am wondering if vitex might be a good idea, I do have a short LP (9-12 days, i think)

I imagine baby aspirin is to thin the blood???

What about hubby? I have heard vit. c is good to strengthen sperm. He is also on a multi vit. Does anyone have any other ideas?

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

· Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't like multi-vits myself b/c they provide way more than I need. So I take 7, yes, 7 pills a day.
Morning: Calcium
Folic Acid (800mg)
B6 (25mg)
Vit E
Vit C
Vitex (400mg)
RRL tea (1-2 cups)
Evening: Vitex (400mg)
I will be taking robitussin and green tea pre-o.

Matey: DH takes a men's multivit (w/the vit. C, which keeps the sperm from sticking together), drinks ginseng tea (it tastes horrible to me, bitter. I told him he could take a ginseng pill, but he says the tea's ok), and L-Arginine. The Asian ginseng and L-Arginine are supposed to help sperm quality, quantity, and mobility.

· Registered
211 Posts
I think Vitamin A should not be a problem. Birth defects were noted when Vitamin A (NOT in beta carotene form, because it can be taken in different forms) was taken in large doses. Since this finding, almost all prenatals and multivitamins use beta carotene as the vitamin A source, which is broken down if taken in excess...so it shouldn't be an issue anymore as long as you see "vitamin A- as beta carotene.)

I also have had DH taking supplements for 3 months (because that's how long it takes to make and protect sperm from damage.) I had him on a fertility blend kind of thing, but then looked at the vitamin breakdown and realized i could get him on a good men's multi-vitamin ("doctor's choice' is a great brand) and get everything all at once. It has lots of the fertility stuff (green tea, grape seed extract, saw palmetto, ginseng, etc) along with good doses of the antioxidants and other stuff needed to make quality sperm (the zinc, selenium, bvitamins, etc. )

· Registered
653 Posts
I take a prenatal because it has so much folic acid in it. I have issues with my spine that may be related to spina bifida and even though they say it's not herititary, EVERYTHING is heretitary.
I take extra calcium because I have an anxiety disorder and recent studies show that anxiety burns calcium so if you overdose on calcuim it burns it up and you don't necessarily feel the effects.
I take DHA (fish oil) because it's necessary for eye and brain development. I started with Expectra but now I take a more hollistic one from the health food store.
Starting this month I will also be taking progesterone.

· Registered
9,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cking View Post
Yeah, I started out with the liquid fish oil...it was very hard to swallow, even with an OJ chaser. So I switched to the capsules.
Yeah, the liquid isn't my favorite thing, but it beats the capsule stuck in my throat thing (I'm on another med that makes swallowing pills difficult). When I was taking the robitussin, turtle suggested holding my nose until well after I've swallowed and that's working very well for the fish oil.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
For those of you taking fish oil (essentially Omega 3's) what brand do you take?
I am asking b/c everytime I read the labels on the bottle they never ever tell you if they're mercury/lead free.

frog: your chart looks great!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.