Mothering Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm taking the Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil I got from Dr Ron's (one of the brands recommended by WAPF). Before that I was taking the Garden of Life brand, which was only available in liquid form (got it at Whole Foods).

Quote:

Originally Posted by minkl
I think Vitamin A should not be a problem. Birth defects were noted when Vitamin A (NOT in beta carotene form, because it can be taken in different forms) was taken in large doses. Since this finding, almost all prenatals and multivitamins use beta carotene as the vitamin A source, which is broken down if taken in excess...so it shouldn't be an issue anymore as long as you see "vitamin A- as beta carotene.)
Thanks!

I guess my main worry with them (irrational, I admit) is whether too much vitamin A can delay ovulation. Someone suggested this in a review of that book I mentioned (review by Heidi, at the bottom of the page) -- that's all it took, one person to suggest it, and it has me worried. I usually have very regular cycles, but when I started taking the increased vitamin A (among other things) that is the same time that my cycle started to be delayed. Right now I am pretty sure that I'm just delayed because of stress & worry, but there it is.

· Registered
9,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greengrey View Post
For those of you taking fish oil (essentially Omega 3's) what brand do you take?
I am asking b/c everytime I read the labels on the bottle they never ever tell you if they're mercury/lead free.

frog: your chart looks great!
Thanks--we're very hopeful about this insem!
:

I don't know what brand I'm taking, but I'll check.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm doing something similar to JillyBeans

1200mg Vitex (split up throughout the day)
1 81mg Asprin
1 B-50 complex
1 100mg B-6
1 Prenatal (Solaray vegan)
2 tbsp flax seed with my morning oatmeal

I'm also back on my thyroid medication which I know isn't a vitamin, but is the only other thing that I currently take.

· Registered
653 Posts
You have to be really careful with the DHA (fish oil) because most of them come with EPA in it. EPA is harmful for a pregnancy.
Expecta is a good brand to take. My doctor told me that any that have 'approved for pregnancy' are fine.
I was taking Nordic Naturals because they are super duper filtered with no mercury. I called them to see if they were good for pregnancy and they said no because of the EPA.
I switched to Jarrow Formulas Max DHA. They are specially formulated for Pregnancy, Lactation, and Seniority.
I get it at Henry's Farmers Market. They're like Trader Joes but I don't know if they're national.

· Registered
9,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KitttyKat View Post
You have to be really careful with the DHA (fish oil) because most of them come with EPA in it.
Anything on the label to check for or do I need to call the company?

· Registered
653 Posts
EPA is a listed ingrediant. It's a natural anti-inflamitory.
On my Nordic Natural the EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) count is 425mg per teaspoon. (liquid)
On my Jarrow's the EPA is 36mg per capsule. (one dose is 2 capsules)

You want to get one that specifically says approved for pregnancy on it.
Here's a link to a product.
Expecta

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.